Author Topic: Cardona: Feeling People ‘Shouldn’t Get Help’ with Loans Is ‘un-American’  (Read 432 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Cardona: Feeling People ‘Shouldn’t Get Help’ with Loans Is ‘un-American’

Ian Hanchett
25 Aug 2022

On Thursday’s broadcast of Bloomberg TV’s “Bloomberg Markets,” Education Secretary Miguel Cardona responded to criticism of President Joe Biden’s student loan program that it’s not fair to people who paid back their loans by saying that “If something happened where my neighbor needs help to get back on their feet, me feeling that they shouldn’t get help, that’s un-American.”

Bloomberg host and reporter David Westin asked, [relevant exchange begins around 9:45] “[D]o you have some sympathy for people who say, I paid back my loans and I didn’t get this kind of break. It’s not quite fair?”

Cardona answered, “Look, we had a pandemic and we’re helping people who were most impacted by the pandemic. So, as someone that — I currently do not have loans and I paid for my degrees, I have four or five, I paid for them. And I was fortunate to be in a position where I could pay for them. If something happened where my neighbor needs help to get back on their feet, me feeling that they shouldn’t get help, that’s un-American. We’re going to help people when they’re down, get them back up, and provide a sustainable path of continued growth for them. That’s what we’re doing for the American people right now. And while some people chose not to go to college or maybe said they couldn’t afford to go to college so they’re not going, everybody knows somebody who’s struggling with debt. So, it might be their family member that’s going to get helped here. It’s the right thing to do after a pandemic, just like it was the right thing to do to help small businesses. And that’s what this President is doing and I’m proud to be a part of it and I’m proud that we’re going to be able to provide 43 million Americans some relief so they can move on with their life and move on with their education.”

more
https://www.breitbart.com/clips/2022/08/25/cardona-feeling-people-shouldnt-get-help-with-loans-is-un-american/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Hoodat

Remember back in the day when communism was deemed as un-American?  My how things have changed.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Killer Clouds

Why don't any of these morons help their neighbors with their own assets. The taxpayers shouldn't have to pay for it.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
All this will do in the end is provide taxpayer subsidies for the Universities to continue offering courses of study of little or no practical value, at inflated rates, which will continue to propagate the problem.

Let the Universities underwrite the loans, not the government (taxpayers).

Then the Universities would have direct incentive to offer courses of study which would be most likely to produce graduates who could repay the loans.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Kamaji

Remember back in the day when communism was deemed as un-American?  My how things have changed.

:thumbsup:

Offline Kamaji

Then the solution is to make them dischargeable in bankruptcy again; the way it used to be before the 1970s.  Although I would recommend a minimum five year waiting period before that can happen.