Author Topic: Downtown Portland isn't recovering from the pandemic and the reasons will not surprise you  (Read 457 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Downtown Portland isn't recovering from the pandemic and the reasons will not surprise you
JOHN SEXTON Aug 25, 2022 1:20 PM ET

(AP Photo/Ted S. Warren)
Stephen Miller highlighted this tweet by Nicholas Kristof:

If you’re a regular HotAir reader then this news will not come as a surprise. Earlier this month, Willamette Week reported on researchers at UC Berkeley who used cellphone GPS data to see how various cities were recovering from the pandemic, i.e. has foot traffic returned to downtown areas. What it found was that out of 62 cities in the US and Canada, Portland was near the very bottom of the pile.

City Hall asked DHM Research to assess attitudes about downtown, city services in neighborhoods, homelessness, policing, and housing prices. DHM surveyed 500 Portland adults from May 2 to 16, asking them to complete a 12-minute survey.

The results? Almost 60% of respondents had a negative impression of downtown. Top reasons for avoiding visits downtown were homelessness (66%), trash and graffiti (60%), vandalism and property crime (51%), and violent crime (50%). Parking was next at 29%.

https://hotair.com/john-s-2/2022/08/25/downtown-portland-isnt-recovering-from-the-pandemic-and-the-reasons-will-not-surprise-you-n492275
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Online rustynail

Mask and vax Mandates would make the people wanting to come downtown feel safer.

Online DefiantMassRINO

In the ghetto ...
Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit
I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.

"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Comrades, I swear on Trump's soul that I am not working from a CIA troll farm in Kiev.

Offline verga

A blind person would see this coming a mile away.
In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
�More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.�-Woody Allen
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken him completely by surprise.

Online roamer_1

The results? Almost 60% of respondents had a negative impression of downtown. Top reasons for avoiding visits downtown were homelessness (66%), trash and graffiti (60%), vandalism and property crime (51%), and violent crime (50%). Parking was next at 29%.

https://hotair.com/john-s-2/2022/08/25/downtown-portland-isnt-recovering-from-the-pandemic-and-the-reasons-will-not-surprise-you-n492275

Woah. It is odd that violent crime rates below homeless and tagging... But what really tells the tale is the difference in real reasons - top reasons comparing to a perennial also-ran (parking problems, 30%)

Online Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
So vote differently.

But they won't...
The Republic is lost.