Author Topic: If You Tell a Lie a Thousand Times, Does it Become the Truth?  (Read 200 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
If You Tell a Lie a Thousand Times, Does it Become the Truth?
« on: August 25, 2022, 11:43:53 am »
If You Tell a Lie a Thousand Times, Does it Become the Truth?

Last update: 28 November, 2017

The subject of truth and lies is more complex than it might seem at first. What people believe is the truth depends on many factors. There are scientific truths, but also philosophical, religious, personal, and ideological truths as well.

Not all “truths” have the same level of validity. In science, for example, you can’t say something is true unless there is physical or theoretical evidence to support it. A similar principle applies to philosophy. Nevertheless, this isn’t the case in other fields. In religious and ideological contexts, for example, something is true if an authority figure says it. It doesn’t matter if it can’t be proven.

“You can go very far on a lie, but you’ll have no hope of returning”.

–Jewish Proverb-

The difference between an untested truth and a lie can sometimes be minimal. In spite of that, many people don’t care. In fact, they are willing to believe even if their belief goes against all the evidence. This happens because lies can be comforting, while the truth can be unsettling. This is due to the fear and guilt that is at play. Another factor involved is that lies can be easier to understand than the truth.

https://exploringyourmind.com/tell-lie-thousand-times-become-truth/
« Last Edit: August 25, 2022, 11:44:44 am by rangerrebew »
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Re: If You Tell a Lie a Thousand Times, Does it Become the Truth?
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2022, 11:45:57 am »
How frequently do we get bombarded with global warming lies? :pondering:
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson