Author Topic: Are Republicans Blowing the Midterms?  (Read 1544 times)

Offline Kamaji

Are Republicans Blowing the Midterms?
« on: August 24, 2022, 12:27:11 pm »
Are Republicans Blowing the Midterms?

Americans don’t like the Biden Administration and are ready to hear the Republicans’ case. But do they have one?

By Jeffrey H. Anderson
August 23, 2022

“Candidate quality” is the term of the moment. The prevailing explanation for Democrats’ relative success in recent Senate-race polling, advanced last week by Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.), is that Republican voters have nominated too many Trump-backed outsider candidates who simply aren’t up to McConnell’s establishment standards. It’s true that inexperienced candidates have additional challenges—although Republican Glenn Youngkin, who’d never held elected office of any sort, prevailed over Democrat Terry McAuliffe, the former governor, in blue-hued Virginia just last year.

But is that really all that’s going on here or is something else in play?

An article published in the Journal of Politics a little over a decade ago noted, “Polls early in the midterm year project a normal vote result in November. But as the campaign progresses, vote preferences almost always move toward the out party.” Why? The authors write, “The shift accords with ‘balance’ theory, where the midterm campaign motivates some to vote against the party of the president in order to achieve policy moderation.”

According to this explanation, voters will move toward Republicans as the year progresses in hopes of checking Joe Biden. This bodes well for the GOP. It doesn’t really explain, however, why Republicans are doing poorly in the polling right now. It appears that at least two other important factors might be in play.

First, Republicans haven’t provided much of a check on Biden this summer, and voters seem to have noticed.

On July 25, the website FiveThirtyEight was giving Republicans a slight edge (51 percent to 49 percent) in its forecast as to which party will control the Senate next year. Four weeks later, it now gives Democrats almost a two-to-one edge (63 percent to 37 percent). In between, 17 mostly establishment Republicans (including McConnell) voted for the $280 billion crony capitalism bill called the CHIPS Act—which even Senator Bernie Sanders (I-Vt.) voted against and labeled “corporate welfare.”

Republicans’ unforced error then paved the way for Democrats to pass the half-trillion-dollar gift to eco-billionaires and IRS agents that is the Inflation Reduction Act (which was apparently named on Opposite Day).

Source:  https://amgreatness.com/2022/08/23/are-republicans-blowing-the-midterms/

Offline Kamaji

Re: Are Republicans Blowing the Midterms?
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2022, 12:27:23 pm »
Does the Sun rise in the East and set in the West?

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2022, 12:37:19 pm »

Have you something constructive to add --- or are you taking the suppress the turnout position?

Online rustynail

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2022, 12:46:03 pm »
They suck at winning.

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2022, 01:14:05 pm »
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline DefiantMassRINO

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2022, 01:24:16 pm »
Both sides have a propensity to mistake a 0.01% lead as a supermajority mandate to foist their most extereme ideas upon us.
Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit
I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.

"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Comrades, I swear on Trump's soul that I am not working from a CIA troll farm in Kiev.

Online Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2022, 12:34:36 am »
Heh.

The political "atmosphere" sure has changed in the last two months or so, hasn't it...?

(that includes in this forum, too...)

Offline DefiantMassRINO

« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2022, 12:42:06 am »
Conservatives' zeal to insert Big Government into peoples' family planning decisions hurt them.

Even Kansas wanted to keep Big Government out of their loins.

Now, the Dems have overreached to make hard working, responsible Americans pay for slothful, hipster college deadbeats and for illegal criminal immigrants.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2022, 01:29:10 am by DefiantMassRINO »
Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit
I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.

"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Comrades, I swear on Trump's soul that I am not working from a CIA troll farm in Kiev.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2022, 12:59:48 am »
Heh.

The political "atmosphere" sure has changed in the last two months or so, hasn't it...?

Well, maybe but I am not giving up just yet.  The job's only half done right now.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline libertybele

« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2022, 01:03:18 am »
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2022, 01:05:48 am »

Mitch the bitch made a huge mistake trying to knock off the America Firsters.  Now none of them owe him allegiance.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2022, 01:24:20 am »
Mitch the bitch made a huge mistake trying to knock off the America Firsters.  Now none of them owe him allegiance.

I don't know the process, but I'm assuming members of the Senate could vote him out as leader?? OR would he have to lose his seat in KY?

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2022, 01:30:51 am »
I don't know the process, but I'm assuming members of the Senate could vote him out as leader?? OR would he have to lose his seat in KY?

The Caucus can vote him out, and almost all the Senators owe him for something.  It's an uphill battle, but it will reveal severe weaknesses in Mitch's hold on the Leader position.

I've talked to Blake Masters about this a couple of times.  I think Mitch convinced him of what he has to do.
I will NOT comply.

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2022, 01:31:49 am »

Does Flavor-Flav know what time it is?
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.     -Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."     -Ayn Rand-

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2022, 01:33:27 am »
Have you something constructive to add --- or are you taking the suppress the turnout position?

The GOP is taking the 'suppress the turnout' position by doing absolutely nothing to fight Democrats.  Seriously, what does the GOP have to offer?
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.     -Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."     -Ayn Rand-

Offline libertybele

« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2022, 01:33:52 am »
The Caucus can vote him out, and almost all the Senators owe him for something.  It's an uphill battle, but it will reveal severe weaknesses in Mitch's hold on the Leader position.

I've talked to Blake Masters about this a couple of times.  I think Mitch convinced him of what he has to do.

If all those Senators were wise they'd wake up and realize that acting together in unison to get rid of him, they'd owe him nothing.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2022, 01:39:45 am »
The GOP is taking the 'suppress the turnout' position by doing absolutely nothing to fight Democrats.  Seriously, what does the GOP have to offer?

?? They need to run on their prior record (or Trump's) of energy independence, economic success, lower taxes, low unemployment, etc. 

As in Charlie Crist's case; he's trying to blame the current economic downturn on DeSantis and the GOP.  That's how the leftists roll; they play the blame game.  The GOP needs to sling it right back and show voters that conservatism is better or at least show them that life was better under GOP policies.

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2022, 02:20:59 am »
Heh.

I feel people bought into the idea of a huge red wave way too soon and now feel depressed since polls are favoring the Dems a little more. We knew abortion would be their main campaign issue as ours is the economy....well, people vote their wallet and how this recession is affecting their lifestyles.

I feel there will be a few more *surprises* coming from the Dems with hope they can change the election to their advantage.

I still feel we will win the House and maybe eke out a win in the Senate...if we don't win the Senate we can still mess up the Dems agenda in the House....

Have faith...pray!
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2022, 04:00:02 am »
Heh.

We, and Republicans at large, do this in every election cycle  --- without questioning if we're falling for the opposition's suppress the vote strategy.

Winning the Senate was always the longer shot.  Mitch McConnell will remain the GOP leader with or without the majority.  What we shouldn't want are more GOP Senators with spanking new six years terms becoming lifelong McConnell Grasshoppers. For this reason alone we should be okay with retaking the Senate in 2024.

Take the House and fill it to the rafters with MAGA/America First fighters.  Upend this regime's free reign while drawing lines in the sand for 2024.  Focus on ripping the gavel from Pelosi's gin soaked fingers and kicking her in the ass on her way to her new office in the basement.

And remember, the red wave in 2022 is more than the House ---- it is also school boards, state houses, AGs, lt. governors and governorships. 

What we need now is action, not defeatism  --- and the patience of a liberal with the faith of a conservative.

« Last Edit: August 25, 2022, 04:02:18 am by Right_in_Virginia »

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #20 on: August 25, 2022, 05:12:00 pm »
Winning the Senate was always the longer shot.

Nonsense.  We already had the Senate won in 2020, but the GOP took idly by while the Dems stole not one, not two, but three Senate seats.  We should have a 53-47 GOP majority right now.  But the GOP decided it was more important to allow the Dems to cheat in Georgia and Michigan just to get rid of Trump.

Mitch McConnell really doesn't care whether he is majority or minority leader.  Either way, his ego gets stoked.  He remains in a position to increase his own personal wealth.  And as minority leader, he only has to do one-third of the work.  And it galls me to no end knowing that we would have been rid of him back in 2014 if not for Donald Trump.

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #21 on: August 25, 2022, 05:52:03 pm »
Should ads blanked the airwaves:

1) record energy prices
2) massive inflation
3) crime
4) woke madness run amok

So much the GOP could use for content. Libs of tiktok could herself provide hours of content. Here in NH energy prices are skyrocketing.

Barely any mention of it from them.

« Reply #22 on: August 25, 2022, 05:53:09 pm »
Nonsense.  We already had the Senate won in 2020, but the GOP took idly by while the Dems stole not one, not two, but three Senate seats.  We should have a 53-47 GOP majority right now.  But the GOP decided it was more important to allow the Dems to cheat in Georgia and Michigan just to get rid of Trump.

And now McConnell's GOP has decided it's more important to lose the Senate and blame Trump to further hurt his run in 2024.  Those paying attention were aware of this from the start.

As I said, winning a majority in the Senate was always the longer shot.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #23 on: August 26, 2022, 12:02:53 am »
And now McConnell's GOP has decided it's more important to lose the Senate and blame Trump to further hurt his run in 2024.  Those paying attention were aware of this from the start.

As I said, winning a majority in the Senate was always the longer shot.

The voters still have a say.
I will NOT comply.

Online rustynail

« Reply #24 on: August 26, 2022, 12:09:30 am »
Beware Fear Uncertainty Doubt.