Author Topic: US set to fine oil and gas companies for methane leaks  (Read 223 times)

Online rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
US set to fine oil and gas companies for methane leaks
« on: August 23, 2022, 06:21:38 pm »
US set to fine oil and gas companies for methane leaks
Published on 29/07/2022, 5:12pm
The fee is thought to be the first in the world and is likely to at least halve the oil and gas sector’s methane leakage rate

The Inglewood Oil Field in Los Angeles (Photo: Peter Bennet/Greenpeace)

By Joe Lo

A proposed US climate bill will introduce a charge on methane leaks from oil and gas facilities, believed by experts to be the first of its kind in the world.

After hold-out Senator Joe Manchin agreed to it, the Inflation Reduction Act looks set to become law, introducing $370 billion of climate spending.

The bill would introduce a “waste emissions charge”, making companies who produce, transport or store oil and gas pay for methane which leaks from their facilities into the atmosphere.

Methane is a particularly potent greenhouse gas and frequently leaks from oil and gas pipelines as a waste product. Companies have allowed it to leak because they either don’t know about it or they think fixing it will cost them more than it saves.

https://www.climatechangenews.com/2022/07/29/us-set-to-fine-oil-and-gas-companies-for-methane-leaks/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Online rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Re: US set to fine oil and gas companies for methane leaks
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2022, 06:33:03 pm »
Will they be able to fine farmers for cow farts?  If not now, they will in the future.  You can count on it. :yowsa:
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Re: US set to fine oil and gas companies for methane leaks
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2022, 12:40:12 am »
Well the biggest fines should be for the damned uncontained flatulence coming out of D.C.

In the oil and gas industry, lost methane is lost revenue.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis