Author Topic: White House to announce student loan cancellation, payment pause extension Wednesday  (Read 656 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
 White House to announce student loan cancellation, payment pause extension Wednesday
by Alex Gangitano and Hanna Trudo - 08/23/22 1:08 PM ET

The White House is expected to announce a plan to cancel a chunk of student loan debt on Wednesday, in addition to an extension of the existing payment pause, three sources with knowledge of the situation told The Hill.

Sources said President Biden’s intended measure will include $10,000 in loan forgiveness for borrowers who make less than $125,000 annually, as well as another payment freeze for roughly four months.

The $10,000 figure would be the largest forgiveness of federal student loans per individual to date.

The move comes just a week ahead of the White House’s self-imposed Aug. 31 deadline. The timing has left millions of Americans waiting for guidance from the Department of Education on whether student loan payments that have been deferred since the start of the pandemic would resume next month.

The potential announcement on Wednesday comes within the smallest window of time borrowers have had to determine when their payments would resume. The White House, under Biden and former President Trump, have extended the pause six times since March of 2020, sometimes giving borrowers up to a month’s notice on whether their bills would be due.

Trump’s order temporarily stopped the accrual of interest on federal student loans, effectively putting $1.6 trillion in debt owed by some 40 million Americans on hold.

Since Biden has taken office, his administration has greenlit over $31 billion in student loan relief for hundreds of thousands of borrowers. But that relief has only extended in certain cases, including for those who have attended schools found to have misled students, borrowers with disabilities, and those participating in the Public Service Loan Forgiveness program.

But the $10,000 in forgiveness for a much wider breadth of borrowers will likely not satisfy some Democrats or activists who have pushed the Biden administration to forgive much more in federal student loan debt.

In May, Senate Majority Leader Charles Schumer (D-N.Y.), Sen. Elizabeth Warren (D-Mass.) and Sen. Raphael Warnock (D-Ga.) met with Biden to push for forgiveness. Advocates and other Democrats, including Schumer, have pressed for forgiveness of $50,000 per borrower or to cancel debt entirely.

Updated 1:25 p.m.
https://thehill.com/homenews/administration/3612324-white-house-to-announce-10k-student-loan-cancellation-payment-pause-extension-wednesday/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Kamaji

More inflation-boosting from the economically clueless white house.

Offline andy58-in-nh

Taxpayers will now be forced to subsidize tuition for other people's children.

Great.
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Offline heelboy22

Just paid mine off last year.  Shouldn't have to take on someone else's responsibility.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Can we --- at least ---- exclude anyone with a degree in Women's Studies or Art History?

Offline DefiantMassRINO

Does that mean I can stop paying my bills, too?

I'm drowning in payroll taxes, mortgage payments, property taxes, utility bills, grocery bills, and heating bills.  8888crybaby
Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit
I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.

"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Comrades, I swear on Trump's soul that I am not working from a CIA troll farm in Kiev.

Offline andy58-in-nh

Can we --- at least ---- exclude anyone with a degree in Women's Studies or Art History?

Well, at least with Art History, a graduate can get an internship and a potentially great job at a museum.

Women's Studies is pure grievance and prepares nobody for anything, except perhaps for a lifetime of anger and resentment. 
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Offline Killer Clouds

Does that mean I can stop paying my bills, too?

I'm drowning in payroll taxes, mortgage payments, property taxes, utility bills, grocery bills, and heating bills.  8888crybaby
That was my thought. Can I get $10,000 forgiven from my bills since I don’t owe any student loans? What about people that don't have any student loans? Would that $10,000 apply to people that have government guaranteed home mortgages?

Offline Idiot

Just in time for the November election.  Who would have thunk it?

Offline libertybele

Just in time for the November election.  Who would have thunk it?

I wonder if Joe will interrupt his vacation to make the announcement??
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline libertybele

Taxpayers will now be forced to subsidize tuition for other people's children.

Great.

I wonder if it's too late to request some kind of rebate? We paid for both of our children's college tuition, books and room and board.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.