Author Topic: Governor of New York Signs Law Banning ‘Gendered Language’ in Workplaces  (Read 668 times)

Offline Kamaji

Governor of New York Signs Law Banning ‘Gendered Language’ in Workplaces

By Eric Lendrum
August 22, 2022

On Thursday, New York Governor Kathy Hochul (D-N.Y.) signed a bill into law that bans so-called “gendered language” from being used in professional settings, including words such as “salesman.”

As reported by the Daily Caller, the newly-signed Senate Bill 536 declares that all uses of gender-specific language in the workplace be replaced with “gender-neutral” terminology, such as replacing “salesman” with “salesperson,” as well as replacing “he/him” and “she/her” pronouns with “their.”

“This legislation amends Real Property Tax Law Article 12-a to change the word salesman to salesperson,” the bill reads. “Further this legislation removes gendered language from the Article by removing references to ‘his or her’ in favor of ‘their,’ changes ‘himself’ to ‘themselves,’ as well as appropriate changes to variations of these words.”

Source:  https://amgreatness.com/2022/08/22/governor-of-new-york-signs-law-banning-gendered-language-in-workplaces/

Offline Kamaji

Offline mountaineer

Government telling people what to say. That may be problematic.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline andy58-in-nh

Government telling people what to say. That may be problematic.
Apparently, "free speech" is now considered an artifact of white privilege, hetero-normativism and patriarchal, cisgendered assumptions in New York. 
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Offline SZonian

• Strike without warning
  • 415th Nightstalker
On its face, this appears to be a clear cut case of 1st Amendment infringement.

However, given all the "hate crime" legislation on the books, I suppose they figure they have this buttoned up real nice.

It'll be interesting to see what happens when this eventually gets challenged in court.
Throwing our allegiances to political parties in the long run gave away our liberty.

Offline DefiantMassRINO

Grammarians will be most upset.  This is an unconstitutional attack upon the grammatical order of mankind.

First, this is absolutlely incorrect by the rules of grammar ...

"their" is not an appropriate subsititute for multiple reasons:

1.) him/her are not possessive - "their" is possessive
2.) him/her are singular - "their" is plural

The proper non-gender replacement pronoun for him/her is "it".  "it" is the third person, non-possessive, singular pronoun.

In what world does it make sense to substitute a possessive, plural pronoun for a singular, non-possessive pronoun?

Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit
I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.

"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Comrades, I swear on Trump's soul that I am not working from a CIA troll farm in Kiev.

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
So 'gendered language' like manlift, manifold, manager, manual, mandatory, manmade, manhole, manipulate, manufacture, maneuver, manicure, etc., etc.

Offline andy58-in-nh

So 'gendered language' like manlift, manifold, manager, manual, mandatory, manmade, manhole, manipulate, manufacture, maneuver, manicure, etc., etc.

How about "maniac"?
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
How about "maniac"?
I don't know, how else would you refer to democrats?