Author Topic: Larry Summers: Student debt forgiveness will make inflation worse  (Read 537 times)

Online Kamaji

Larry Summers: Student debt forgiveness will make inflation worse

By Thomas Barrabi
August 22, 2022

Famed economist Larry Summers warned Monday that the Biden administration could make the current inflation crisis worse if it goes too far with student debt forgiveness initiatives.

Summers, a former top economic official in the Clinton and Obama administrations, called for caution as reports swirl that President Biden is close to making a decision on whether to extend the ongoing payment moratorium for student loans – and potentially wipe some debt clean.

“I hope the Administration does not contribute to inflation macro economically by offering unreasonably generous student loan relief or micro economically by encouraging college tuition increases,” Summers said in a series of tweets on Monday.

“Every dollar spent on student loan relief is a dollar that could have gone to support those who don’t get the opportunity to go to college,” Summers added.

The pause on student loan payments, first imposed in the early days of the COVID-19 pandemic, is currently slated to end on Aug. 31. On Sunday, US Education Secretary Miguel Cardona told NBC that Biden will decide how to proceed within the “next week or so.”

Source:  https://nypost.com/2022/08/22/larry-summers-student-debt-forgiveness-will-make-inflation-worse/

Offline DefiantMassRINO

Re: Larry Summers: Student debt forgiveness will make inflation worse
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2022, 09:21:40 pm »
 ////00000////

How can more free money make inflation worse?
Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit
I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.

"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Comrades, I swear on Trump's soul that I am not working from a CIA troll farm in Kiev.

Online Kamaji

Re: Larry Summers: Student debt forgiveness will make inflation worse
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2022, 09:22:00 pm »
////00000////

How can more free money make inflation worse?

:silly: