Author Topic: Judge rejects DOJ arguments to keep 'unprecedented' FBI's Trump raid affidavit entirely sealed  (Read 770 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Judge rejects DOJ arguments to keep 'unprecedented' FBI's Trump raid affidavit entirely sealed
by Jerry Dunleavy, Justice Department Reporter |
August 22, 2022 09:57 AM

A judge suggested he may allow the Justice Department to keep the FBI affidavit behind its Mar-a-Lago raid mostly sealed, though he rejected the DOJ’s arguments that the justification underpinning the "unprecedented search" should be kept fully hidden.

Magistrate Judge Bruce Reinhart, who signed the warrant for the raid on former President Donald Trump's home, indicated during a Thursday court hearing that he may partially unseal the affidavit itself, ordering the DOJ to file a redacted version of the raid affidavit by this Thursday at noon. The judge said in court that he believes there are portions that can be unsealed and ordered the government to file proposed redactions, but in an 11-page opinion on Monday, he indicated the DOJ may yet convince him that very little information from the affidavit behind the warrant should be released.

“I cannot say at this point that partial redactions will be so extensive that they will result in a meaningless disclosure, but I may ultimately reach that conclusion after hearing further from the Government,” the judge wrote Monday. “The Government argues that even requiring it to redact portions of the Affidavit that could not reveal agent identities or investigative sources and methods imposes an undue burden on its resources and sets a precedent that could be disruptive and burdensome in future cases. I do not need to reach the question of whether, in some other case, these concerns could justify denying public access; they very well might.”

more
https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news/justice/judge-suggests-affidavit-unprecedented-maralago-mostly-sealed
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline DefiantMassRINO

The FBI needs to prove to the American public that there was just cause for the search and seizure; that it was not politically motivated.

The FBI needs to commit penance for its sins under James Comey.
Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit
I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.

"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Comrades, I swear on Trump's soul that I am not working from a CIA troll farm in Kiev.

Offline libertybele

The FBI needs to prove to the American public that there was just cause for the search and seizure; that it was not politically motivated.

The FBI needs to commit penance for its sins under James Comey.

The current DOJ is so corrupt this kind of crappola isn't going to end.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline BellyAche

Even if they move to make it public, the affidavit would be so redacted, it would be useless to “prove” anything! That’s why 45 wants it ALL out. 
Do what you can, with what you have, where you are. - Theodore Roosevelt

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
This is the judge that signed it right? Do I have that right?

Offline DefiantMassRINO

The DOJ is not rising to the moment.

The FBI should ask the Judge to appoint a "Special Master".  It should not delay.

Trump asked for a "Special Master" because he knew the FBI would object.

His strategy for every investigation is delay-delay-delay.  He's trying to buy more time in hopes that political winds will turn more towards his favor.

If the FBI was justified in its search and seizure, the public will see that.

If the FBI was not justified in its search, there will be public reaction and any "evidence" may be inadmissible as fruit of a poison tree.

Either way, the FBI will eventually be obligated to show its cards.  It can do so on its schedule and terms, or the FBI can do so on Trump's schedule and terms.

This is not an ordinary FBI investigation.  The optics need to be clear to show that the FBI acted lawfully.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2022, 08:01:53 pm by DefiantMassRINO »
Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit
I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.

"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Comrades, I swear on Trump's soul that I am not working from a CIA troll farm in Kiev.

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
 August 22, 2022 9:13am EDT
Judge Reinhart formally rejects DOJ argument to keep Trump affidavit sealed, calls raid 'unprecedented'
Reinhart ruled 'given the intense public and historical interest'

By Brooke Singman | Fox News

udge Bruce Reinhart on Monday admitted the FBI's raid on former President Trump's Mar-a-Lago home was "unprecedented" and formally rejected the Justice Department's argument to keep the affidavit leading to the search under seal, citing the "intense public and historical interest."

Reinhart, in a filing Monday morning, said he rejects "the Government’s argument that the present record justifies keeping the entire Affidavit under seal."

"The Government argues that even requiring it to redact portions of the Affidavit that could not reveal agent identities or investigative sources and methods imposes an undue burden on its resources and sets a precedent that could be disruptive and burdensome in future cases," Reinhart wrote. "I do not need to reach the question of whether, in some other case, these concerns could justify denying public access; they very well might."

He added: "Particularly given the intense public and historical interest in an unprecedented search of a former President’s residence, the Government has not yet shown that these administrative concerns are sufficient to justify sealing."

more
https://www.foxnews.com/politics/reinhart-formally-rejects-doj-argument-to-keep-trump-affidavit-sealed-calls-raid-unprecedented
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Offline Right_in_Virginia

All the Judge did today was refuse to keep the affidavit sealed .... he's made no decision on redactions.  The DOJ has until Wednesday to put their redaction arguments before the judge.

Online roamer_1

Trump asked for a "Special Master" because he knew the FBI would object.

His strategy for every investigation is delay-delay-delay.  He's trying to buy more time in hopes that political winds will turn more towards his favor.

Well sure - But as he should... Whether or not political winds change. Just good practice in defense.

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
All the Judge did today was refuse to keep the affidavit sealed .... he's made no decision on redactions.  The DOJ has until Wednesday to put their redaction arguments before the judge.

The other day, Buck Sexton/Clay Travis said it out loud:

President Trump DECLASSIFIED documents pertaining to "Operation Hurricane", which included texts/communications between certain F.B.I. agents and their handlers.

As DECLASSIFIED documents he removed them from the White House.

The F.B.I. and those behind the curtain cannot let those communications see the light of day...they raided Mar a Lago intending on recovering them, whereby Biden can reclassify them to "CLASSIFIED"

So...are the documents now in the hands of the FBI?    :pondering:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald