Author Topic: Recently discovered ‘sea bugs’ can grow up to 1.5 feet, eat entire alligator corpse  (Read 625 times)

Offline Kamaji

Recently discovered ‘sea bugs’ can grow up to 1.5 feet, eat entire alligator corpse

By Brandon Ingram, FOX Weather
August 20, 2022

These creatures look like something you may see in a “Men In Black” movie, but believe it or not, you can find them on Earth down in the deep sea.

A group of researchers recently discovered a new species of giant “sea bugs” that live down at the bottom of the ocean.

These sea bugs are actually isopods known as Bathynomus yucatanensis. Like other isopods, they are often considered insects, though they don’t fit into the category.

These isopods became well known during observations in a 2019 viral video of them eating an alligator in the first-ever deep-sea alligator food fall.

The researchers in the above video state that the alligator was placed on the sea floor, and less than 24 hours later, the sea bugs emerged to feast.

Now, researchers are studying these sea bugs more in-depth.

Source:  https://nypost.com/2022/08/20/recently-discovered-sea-bugs-can-eat-entire-alligator-corpse/

Online Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum

Online mountaineer

But enough about Stacey Abrams ...
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Online 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
Paradoxides sp.jpg
Those are living trilobites. Most common fossil you can find.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Online roamer_1

Yeah... A giant roly-poly... I get it.

But I will ask the question everybody is to scared to ask:

How do they taste?
« Last Edit: August 22, 2022, 08:19:57 am by roamer_1 »

Offline Kamaji

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
I bet the large gastropods, like the Horse Conch(Triplofusus giganteus) that grow up to 2 feet long would feed on an alligator corpse.

Horse Conchs are common in shallow waters from North Carolina to Mexico’s Yucatan Peninsula.

Horse Conch is the Florida’s state shell.