Author Topic: Military families’ housing benefits lag as rents explode  (Read 253 times)

Offline libertybele

Military families’ housing benefits lag as rents explode
« on: August 21, 2022, 12:18:53 am »
Military families’ housing benefits lag as rents explode

In this photo provided by the U.S. Air Force, housing for service members is shown at Mountain Home Air Force Base, Thursday, April 28, 2022. Amid record-breaking spikes in rent, service members and housing activists say the Department of Defense has not adequately increased housing allowances, thereby neglecting its commitment to military families. (1st Lt. Daniel Barnhorst/U.S. Air Force via AP)
1 of 6
In this photo provided by the U.S. Air Force, housing for service members is shown at Mountain Home Air Force Base, Thursday, April 28, 2022. Amid record-breaking spikes in rent, service members and housing activists say the Department of Defense has not adequately increased housing allowances, thereby neglecting its commitment to military families. (1st Lt. Daniel Barnhorst/U.S. Air Force via AP)

When Kristin Martin found out her husband was being transferred to Naval Base San Diego, securing housing for their family of five quickly took over her life.

On-base housing wasn’t an option — the waitlist for a four-bedroom home in the neighborhoods they qualified for was 14 to 16 months.

Neither were the military-only hotels near base where new arrivals can pay low rates as they get their bearings — those were full, too.

So Martin cast a wide net across San Diego and started applying for rental homes, all sight unseen.

“I was waking up and the first thing I was doing was looking at properties,” Martin said. “I was looking at it midday, before I went to bed. I had alerts set. It became a full-time job.”

More than 30 rental applications later and hundreds of dollars in application fees down the drain, the Martins finally found a home.

But there were caveats. They’d have to start paying rent a month before they actually moved. And, at $4,200 per month, their rent was nearly $700 more than the monthly basic allowance for housing, known as the BAH, that her husband, a lieutenant, receives.

“We’ll probably be here two or three years, so that could be $20,000 that we’re paying out of pocket above BAH just for rent,” Martin said after completing her family’s fourth move in 15 years last month.

“It’s affecting us personally but then I think about how we were a junior enlisted family at one point. I cannot imagine the struggles (they) are going through.”

Housing has long been a major benefit for service members, a subsidy to salaries that trail the private sector. But, amid record-breaking spikes in rent, the Department of Defense has neglected its commitment to help military families find affordable places to live, service members and housing activists say.

That’s forced many to settle for substandard homes, deal with extremely long commutes or pay thousands out of pocket they hadn’t budgeted for................

https://apnews.com/article/military-housing-benefits-lag-as-rents-rise-a4b8689ce497eac3fcc1d347ce7fcc23
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.