Author Topic: ‘Net Zero’ groupthink got us into this mess energy mess – ‘Green virtue-signalling has wreaked havoc  (Read 224 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
‘Net Zero’ groupthink got us into this mess energy mess – ‘Green virtue-signalling has wreaked havoc’

By: Admin - Climate DepotAugust 18, 2022 9:10 AM

Iain Martin: ‘Net Zero’ groupthink got us into this mess
The Times, 18 August 2022

Britain’s main parties, all of them, and every arm of the state designed and cheered on the race to net zero. With voters angry as the bills land, no one wants to admit their culpability.

Get ready to be bribed with your own money. The political parties are competing to show who can offer the biggest bailout to get through this winter’s energy shock. But do not be deceived about who really pays for the failure of Britain’s energy policy. We all do.

The old observation by Margaret Thatcher that the government does not have any money of its own to dispense is as true now as it was then. It only has what it collects from us in taxes and borrows on our behalf. Higher borrowing generally means higher taxes later.

I make this point not to suggest energy bailouts shouldn’t happen. They must. Without tens of billions in immediate assistance, many citizens will face distress and penury this winter. The winner of the Tory leadership race has no option other than to spend more on this to avoid social unrest.

But amid the clamour there is a game of distraction and blame-dodging going on. The main parties, all of them, and every arm of the state have a shared interest in avoiding a proper accounting for what went wrong. They all designed and cheered on Britain’s too aggressive race to net zero. With voters angry as the bills land, no one wants to admit their culpability.

https://www.climatedepot.com/2022/08/18/net-zero-groupthink-got-us-into-this-mess-energy-mess-green-virtue-signalling-has-wreaked-havoc/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson