Author Topic: Promotions to staff sergeant hit lowest rate in over 20 years  (Read 273 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Promotions to staff sergeant hit lowest rate in over 20 years
« on: August 20, 2022, 01:23:08 pm »
Promotions to staff sergeant hit lowest rate in over 20 years
By Rachel S. Cohen
 Aug 18, 05:37 PM

Senior airmen this week got their first taste of how difficult it may become to earn a promotion to staff sergeant in the coming years.

The Air Force said Wednesday it chose just over 20% of eligible senior airmen to move up the career ladder in the latest round of promotion considerations — a steep drop from last year’s 35% selection rate. About 9,700 of 46,000 E-4s made the cut, according to the Air Force Personnel Center.

It’s the lowest selection rate for incoming E-5s since 1997, when 19% of E-4s moved up. At that point, selection rates were rebounding from a low point of 5.5%. The most recent high point was a 65% promotion rate in 2001.

https://www.militarytimes.com/news/your-air-force/2022/08/18/promotions-to-staff-sergeant-hit-lowest-rate-in-over-20-years/
« Last Edit: August 20, 2022, 01:24:02 pm by rangerrebew »
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Re: Promotions to staff sergeant hit lowest rate in over 20 years
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2022, 01:28:44 pm »
I don't believe it has occurred to Comrade Milley if they spent less time on pronouns, CRT, and gay rights to find out why the military can't recruit or retain, it would be time well spent.  Then they might fix the problem.  On the other hand, maybe Comrade Milley is quite happy with the situation so unsolvable. :0012:
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Online SZonian

• Strike without warning
  • 415th Nightstalker
Re: Promotions to staff sergeant hit lowest rate in over 20 years
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2022, 04:03:44 pm »
The USAF is % based on AFSC/MOS when it comes to rank, so if there's a low number of E-6/E-7 promotions, that's going to filter down.

Many of these are pinning on E-5 with ~4 years TIS...I can't help but wonder how prepared for leadership they really are.

Keep in mind, the USAF is test oriented when it comes to promotion, no stratification or boards at this level.  So if someone is "good" at testing, that doesn't necessarily equate to good at leadership.
Throwing our allegiances to political parties in the long run gave away our liberty.