Author Topic: Ukraine 3  (Read 152228 times)

Offline Hoodat

Re: Ukraine 3
« Reply #2425 on: April 21, 2023, 01:59:38 am »
I clicked on the tweet, and there seems to be some suggestion this wasn't the Ukrainians.  Explosion apparently happened immediately after Russian military planes flew overhead, so it could have been an accident.

Russians accidentally dropped bomb on their own city.

« Last Edit: April 21, 2023, 02:00:26 am by Hoodat »
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #2426 on: April 21, 2023, 11:15:33 am »
It's pretty clear that the bomb went off under the surface causing the large displacement of dirt. There's video of the explosion and there is a large amount of dirt thrown up in the air but not a large fireball or flash. Had the explosion that large been on the surface the nearby buildings would have been heavily damaged.

The suggestion is something fell off a Russian plane and penetrated the earth before detonating.

So just more Russian incompetence.

The Russians appear to have confirmed that it was a bomb from a Russian aircraft.

Online Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #2427 on: April 21, 2023, 01:58:02 pm »
Russians accidentally dropped bomb on their own city.

I don't have sympathy for Russians anymore. Their military is a mess and they treat their soldiers like cannon fodder. And a lot of them still support Putin.

They get what they deserve.

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #2428 on: April 21, 2023, 02:13:26 pm »

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #2429 on: April 21, 2023, 02:54:44 pm »
I don't have sympathy for Russians anymore. Their military is a mess and they treat their soldiers like cannon fodder. And a lot of them still support Putin.

That is my general attitude as well
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #2430 on: April 21, 2023, 03:54:23 pm »
When and how will Ukraine start counteroffensive against Russia?

Western weapons pour into Ukraine as officials in Kyiv promise new attacks will start soon.

By Mansur Mirovalev
Published On 21 Apr 2023
21 Apr 2023

Kyiv, Ukraine – As spring get under way in Ukraine, an ominous lull in hostilities has fallen over the battlefields in the war Russia began last year.

Moscow’s winter offensive never quite materialised despite the mobilisation of hundreds of thousands of mostly untrained men. Many were shipped straight to the front line only to be killed in what survivors called “cannon fodder storms”.

With the jailing of critics and an American journalist, the Kremlin seems to have scored more victories against dissent and the fractured domestic opposition than in Ukraine as Russian forces barely inched forward in the besieged eastern city of Bakhmut.

At the same time, Ukraine has not regained any ground in the southern region of Kherson or the eastern region of Kharkiv in the months after Russia retreated from key areas there.

As spring rains turn soil into mud impassable for troops and heavy weaponry, Ukraine is amassing fresh forces trained to use new Western arms, and its long promised counteroffensive seems imminent.

“We are confident the counteroffensive is taking place in the nearest future,” Prime Minister Denys Shmygal said last week. “The US absolutely supports us.”

Source:  https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2023/4/21/when-and-how-will-ukraine-start-counteroffensive-against-russia

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #2431 on: April 21, 2023, 03:56:27 pm »
Ukraine knows the terrain better than anyone. They will wait until the ground is dry enough that a rainstorm won't get their armor bogged down somewhere.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #2432 on: April 21, 2023, 03:58:38 pm »
Ukraine knows the terrain better than anyone. They will wait until the ground is dry enough that a rainstorm won't get their armor bogged down somewhere.

That would probably depend on whether the ground conditions would disfavor the Russians more than they, or not.  Obviously, they aren't going to run armor out on sodden soil, but they may initiate a fast counterattack, at least against Russian armored units, in an effort to goad the Russians into committing to sodden soil.

Online Smokin Joe

« Reply #2433 on: April 21, 2023, 04:00:04 pm »
That would probably depend on whether the ground conditions would disfavor the Russians more than they, or not.  Obviously, they aren't going to run armor out on sodden soil, but they may initiate a fast counterattack, at least against Russian armored units, in an effort to goad the Russians into committing to sodden soil.
I would expect they know the terrain well enough to have soil types, for example documented. There may be areas that will permit maneuvering heavy vehicles while others would not, and that may be part of their plan.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #2434 on: April 21, 2023, 04:01:33 pm »
I would expect they know the terrain well enough to have soil types, for example documented. There may be areas that will permit maneuvering heavy vehicles while others would not, and that may be part of their plan.

I tend to agree, based on their past performance.

That being said, if the Russians have concentrations of armor, then it may be a good time to attack those concentrations with HIMARs-armed infantry and light armor - something that won't sink in the mud - to force the Russians to either lose it in-situ, or lose it in the mud.

Online Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
« Reply #2435 on: April 21, 2023, 05:15:21 pm »

I think the Ukrainians may try to grab some forward Russian-occupied villages/towns that control some roads they deem important.  Ideally, the way the Russians would want to defend the steppe areas of Zaporizhzhia are with mobile reserves kept well back from the front lines.  Putting forces too far forward makes them vulnerable to being isolated and cutoff in the event of a rapid Ukrainian advance.  So, by pressuring towns/villages in the more northern parts of Russian-occupied Zaporizhzhia, The Ukrainians force the Russians to either reinforce those forward positions-- thereby moving more troops forward where they could be cutoff -- , abandon those positions, or simply letting the troops who are there hold on as best they can without reinforcement.  I suspect they'll choose to do that third option, which should make it easy for the Ukrainians to gain local superiority wherever they wish because the Russians won't want to shift troops before the main attack comes.

Pressure the forward positions, grab those towns/villages, and take advantage of the Russians being unwilling to keep forces too far forward.  The Ukes can likely gain some valuable ground that way without burning mobile assets.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2023, 05:18:49 pm by Maj. Bill Martin »

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #2436 on: April 21, 2023, 09:21:58 pm »

@Weird Tolkienish Figure

Don't hate or blame the typical Russian for this. They are little more than slaves,and they obey the orders of their masters,or go into a labor camp. Sometimes their families may even be kicked out of the apartment the state ALLOWS them to live in,and then,as homeless people,they end up in a Siberian labor camp,also.

I do THINK the Soviet leadership has taken SEVERAL steps too far this time,and and their system just might blow up on them this time.

After all,most of their military is now getting their asses handed to them by Ukraine ,and I just don't see any way the Soviet leadership can survive a massive military defeat against a small country  they expected to occupy in a week or so.

Not to mention that this is not 1940,and no matter how much the Soviets hate it,the FACT is their citizenry now has access to western news reports. The Soviet death grip over the Russian population is on it's way out. Maybe not this year,but most likely within the next 5.

Even if I am wrong,it should be REALLY interesting to see who the "Masters of Russia" pick to replace Pooty Poot when he has his sudden massive heart attack. I am positive they are going to try to find someone who can be "sold" to the masses as a "moderate",but whose strings only THEY pull.

Kinda like the DNC and Biden.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline Hoodat

If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Online DB

« Reply #2438 on: April 22, 2023, 03:03:46 am »

Online Smokin Joe

« Reply #2439 on: April 22, 2023, 03:05:22 am »
Apparently video has been removed. And supposedly no one died...
Sanitized for your protection, Comrade!

C S Lewis

Offline ccoffer

« Reply #2440 on: April 22, 2023, 03:06:45 am »
It's pretty clear that the bomb went off under the surface causing the large displacement of dirt. There's video of the explosion and there is a large amount of dirt thrown up in the air but not a large fireball or flash. Had the explosion that large been on the surface the nearby buildings would have been heavily damaged.

The suggestion is something fell off a Russian plane and penetrated the earth before detonating.

So just more Russian incompetence.
More spectacular news for our greatest ally and most vital partner in the cause of money laundering. Look out, Israel, there is a new kid on the block.
Preacher man says it's the end of time, and the Mississippi river she's a goin' dry.
Demosthenese Jr.

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #2441 on: April 22, 2023, 06:42:14 am »
Apparently video has been removed. And supposedly no one died...

Video is still up.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Online DB

« Reply #2442 on: April 22, 2023, 07:04:16 am »
Video is still up.

Clicking the link earlier literally said it had been removed. But is back now...

Whatever that was went pretty deep and took quite a while to detonate.

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #2443 on: April 22, 2023, 10:17:09 am »
More spectacular news for our greatest ally and most vital partner in the cause of money laundering. Look out, Israel, there is a new kid on the block.

:rolleyes:

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #2444 on: April 22, 2023, 02:41:13 pm »

Online Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #2446 on: April 23, 2023, 12:00:52 pm »
Welp guess which side that China is on:

https://twitter.com/nexta_tv/status/1650067456646434817

I wonder if the Conservatives who support Russia will back China on this.

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #2447 on: April 23, 2023, 12:28:37 pm »

I wonder if the Conservatives who support Russia will back China on this.

:facepalm2:

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #2448 on: April 23, 2023, 12:47:16 pm »

China’s US ambassador says ‘the sovereignty and territorial integrity of all countries, including Ukraine, must be respected’ and insists Beijing is making ‘real efforts’ for peace in latest show of wavering support for Putin

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10618781/Chinas-ambassador-insists-Beijing-making-real-efforts-peace.html?ns_mchannel=rss&ico=taboola_feed_article&ns_mchannel=rss&ico=taboola_feed

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #2449 on: April 23, 2023, 01:21:59 pm »

Translation:  Taiwan does not have effective status to exist as a sovereign country.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-