Author Topic: Ukraine 3  (Read 152319 times)

Online Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
Re: Ukraine 3
« Reply #1825 on: February 10, 2023, 01:14:21 pm »
 Gaetz introduces resolution to end military and financial aid to Ukraine, urge peace deal

FIRST ON FOX: Rep. Matt Gaetz, R-Fla., is introducing a resolution in the House on Thursday that calls on the Biden administration to end U.S. military and financial aid to Ukraine -- while also urging all involved to secure a peace agreement after nearly a year of war in the region.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/gaetz-introduces-resolution-end-military-financial-aid-ukraine-urge-peace-deal

This is a big enough issue for me personally that I will not vote for anyone who advocates abandoning Ukraine to Russia.  Not for Representative, Senator, or President.

Online Kamaji

« Reply #1826 on: February 10, 2023, 01:41:33 pm »
Gaetz introduces resolution to end military and financial aid to Ukraine, urge peace deal

FIRST ON FOX: Rep. Matt Gaetz, R-Fla., is introducing a resolution in the House on Thursday that calls on the Biden administration to end U.S. military and financial aid to Ukraine -- while also urging all involved to secure a peace agreement after nearly a year of war in the region.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/gaetz-introduces-resolution-end-military-financial-aid-ukraine-urge-peace-deal

This is a big enough issue for me personally that I will not vote for anyone who advocates abandoning Ukraine to Russia.  Not for Representative, Senator, or President.

:thumbsup:

Offline Timber Rattler

• Conservative Purist and Patriot
« Reply #1827 on: February 10, 2023, 02:11:18 pm »

Same.  Gaetz is a moron.
aka "nasty degenerate SOB," "worst of the worst at Free Republic," "Garbage Troll," "Neocon Warmonger," "Filthy Piece of Trash," "damn $#%$#@!," "Silly f'er," "POS," "war pig," "neocon scumbag," "insignificant little ankle nipper," "@ss-clown," "neocuck," "termite," "Uniparty Deep stater," "Never Trump sack of dog feces," "avid Bidenista," "filthy Ukrainian," "war whore," "fricking chump," psychopathic POS, and depraved SOB.

"In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act."  ---George Orwell

"If you want peace, prepare for war." ---Flavius Vegetius Renatus

Offline Timber Rattler

« Reply #1828 on: February 10, 2023, 02:13:13 pm »
Belarus calls Poland's closing of border crossing point 'catastrophic'

https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/belarus-says-poland-closing-border-crossing-point-is-catastrophic-decision-2023-02-10/

Belarus on Friday condemned as "catastrophic" a decision by Poland to close a border checkpoint between the two countries, saying it could lead to a collapse on both sides of the border.

Poland said on Thursday, citing security concerns, it would close a key border crossing into Belarus at Bobrowniki, starting at 12 p.m. (1100 GMT) on Friday, driving already hostile relations between the two countries to a new low.

The Belarus government criticised the border decision on Thursday, but went further in a statement on Friday, calling the move irrational and dangerous.

"The actions of the Polish authorities could lead to a collapse on both sides of the border," the country's border committee said in a statement shared on social media.

Excerpt.

That'll give Lukashenko something to think about before he does whatever Putin wants him to do soon.
aka "nasty degenerate SOB," "worst of the worst at Free Republic," "Garbage Troll," "Neocon Warmonger," "Filthy Piece of Trash," "damn $#%$#@!," "Silly f'er," "POS," "war pig," "neocon scumbag," "insignificant little ankle nipper," "@ss-clown," "neocuck," "termite," "Uniparty Deep stater," "Never Trump sack of dog feces," "avid Bidenista," "filthy Ukrainian," "war whore," "fricking chump," psychopathic POS, and depraved SOB.

"In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act."  ---George Orwell

Online Maj. Bill Martin

« Reply #1829 on: February 10, 2023, 02:49:20 pm »
Very smart move on Poland's part.  Not aggressive but sends a strong message.

Can't blame the Poles at all.  Considering the sentiments of Gaetz and those who share his views here in the U.S., they may not be entirely confident of US support in the event of a Russian attack.  So for them to lose Ukraine as a buffer state would be potentially catastrophic.  Anything they can do short of actual hostilities to help Ukraine makes complete sense for them.

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #1830 on: February 10, 2023, 04:24:01 pm »
Russia Loses 25 Tanks in Two Days As Video Shows Deadly Strike: Ukraine

ELLIE COOK  |  2/7/23 AT 6:25 AM EST

Russian forces have lost 25 tanks in the past two days, according to the Ukrainian military.

Writing on Facebook on Tuesday morning, the General Staff of Ukraine's Armed Forces attached a video of what appears to be Russian tanks being targeted by Ukrainian weapons systems, with the footage showing smoke and fire. The operational update then said 1,900 Russian soldiers had been killed in the past two days.

In a further update, the General Staff reported Russia's total tank losses since the beginning of its full-scale invasion in 2022 to be 3,245 tanks.

This is an increase of 14 compared with Monday's report by the General Staff. A further Russian 11 tanks had been taken out of action the previous day, the General Staff said in its daily update.  .  .  .

https://www.newsweek.com/russia-loses-25-tanks-two-days-video-deadly-strike-ukraine-general-staff-new-offensive-1779400

Oryx puts Russian losses at about 50% of what Ukraine claims, but they also have a significantly lower number of Russia's total armor numbers.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #1831 on: February 10, 2023, 04:30:15 pm »
Russia may have lost up to half of its operational tank fleet in Ukraine, monitoring group says

Brad Lendon  |  Updated 4:26 AM EST, Thu February 9, 2023

Russia has potentially lost up to half of all its operational tank fleet since the start of the Ukraine war, according to information collected by a monitoring group, as its military struggles to meet the goals of Vladimir Putin’s invasion.

Oryx, an open source intelligence website, has been collecting visual evidence of military equipment losses in Ukraine since Russia’s invasion began on February 24, 2022.

The group said this week it has verified 1,000 distinct Russian tank losses in the war. It said a further 544 Russian tanks had been captured by Ukrainian forces, 79 damaged and 65 abandoned.  .  .  .

https://www.cnn.com/2023/02/09/europe/1000-russian-tanks-destroyed-ukraine-war-intl-hnk-ml/index.html

Recent armored assaults in Zaporizhia have let to a substantial loss of Russian armor.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Timber Rattler

« Reply #1832 on: February 10, 2023, 05:16:04 pm »
Moldova PM, government resign amid intense Russian pressure

https://www.upi.com/Top_News/World-News/2023/02/10/Moldova-Prime-Minister-Gavrilita-resigns/5461676039967/

Moldovan Prime Minister Natalia Gavrilita resigned along with her pro-European Union government Friday following intense Russian economic and political pressure.

Moldova President Maia Sandu said in a Facebook post she will consult with parliamentary factions about a new government and will nominate a candidate to replace Gavrilita as Prime Minister.

"I took note of the resignation of Prime Minister Natalia Gavrilita," Sandu wrote. "Thank you so much for your enormous sacrifice and efforts to lead the country in a time of so many crises. In spite of unprecedented challenges, the country was governed responsibly, with a lot of attention and dedicated work. We have stability, peace and development -- where others wanted war and bankruptcy. Thank you so much, Natalia!"

Gavrilita said in her live video announcement that Moldova was "entering a new phase, one in which security is our priority."

Excerpt.

Offline Timber Rattler

« Reply #1833 on: February 10, 2023, 05:18:05 pm »
Flashback to last week:

'Threatening rhetoric': Lavrov calls tiny Moldova 'the next Ukraine'

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/policy/defense-national-security/lavrov-moldova-next-ukraine

Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov referred to Moldova as “the next Ukraine" in a criticism of the Black Sea state that stokes Moldovan anxiety about the prospect of an attack from Russia.

"We categorically reject the statement by the head of Russian diplomacy, which does not correspond to reality, and is part of the already well-known threatening rhetoric of Russian diplomacy,” the Moldovan Foreign Ministry said Thursday.

Lavrov drew the analogy as Moscow renews its attempt to characterize its invasion of Ukraine as a defensive struggle against fascist ideology. Russia has maintained a military presence in Moldova over the objections of the Moldovan government, a dispute that could provide kindling for another crisis, spurring Moldova to seek deeper ties with U.S. and European governments.

"The West has already set its sights on the Republic of Moldova,” Lavrov told state media, saying that Moldova has “a president who wants to join NATO, has Romanian citizenship, is ready to unite with Romania and, in general, she is ready for almost anything.”

Online Kamaji

« Reply #1834 on: February 10, 2023, 05:30:47 pm »
Moldova PM, government resign amid intense Russian pressure

https://www.upi.com/Top_News/World-News/2023/02/10/Moldova-Prime-Minister-Gavrilita-resigns/5461676039967/

Excerpt.

The next domino.  This is why the West should continue to supply Ukraine with the weapons it needs to beat back the Russian orc.

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #1835 on: February 10, 2023, 05:38:13 pm »
Flashback to last week:

'Threatening rhetoric': Lavrov calls tiny Moldova 'the next Ukraine'

Sounds just like something a bully would say.  Good luck supporting an invasion force in a landlocked country you don't share a border with.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #1836 on: February 10, 2023, 06:52:19 pm »

Offline bilo

« Reply #1837 on: February 11, 2023, 02:15:10 am »

Is it wrong for Congress to expect the President to explain what the purpose is for huge sums of money and military equipment being given to a country that is fighting one of our principal enemies and that also happens to have the largest nuclear arsenal in the world? I'm not opposed to helping Ukraine with military weaponry, but what are the expectations and limitations.

We now have the 101st Airborne division in Romania. I do not want to see any American troops involved in this war. We should be getting our troops out of Europe it's way past time for the European nations to spend the money necessary to develop their own militaries.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2023, 03:00:58 am by bilo »
A stranger in a hostile foreign land I used to call home

Online Maj. Bill Martin

« Reply #1838 on: February 11, 2023, 05:07:17 am »
Is it wrong for Congress to expect the President to explain what the purpose is for huge sums of money and military equipment being given to a country that is fighting one of our principal enemies and that also happens to have the largest nuclear arsenal in the world? I'm not opposed to helping Ukraine with military weaponry, but what are the expectations and limitations.

We now have the 101st Airborne division in Romania. I do not want to see any American troops involved in this war. We should be getting our troops out of Europe it's way past time for the European nations to spend the money necessary to develop their own militaries.

The purpose is to prevent the Russians from profiting from their invasion.  As long as the Ukrainians are using the weapons we give them to kill invading Russian troops and destroy Russian war material, it's as good a use of our weaponry as we can ask.

And the Poles, Brits and other are making major contributions as well.

Also, Gaetz isn't asking for an accounting.  He's asking for all military aide to Ukraine to stop, which would obvious be a huge boost to Russian morale, and likely lead to the complete conquest of Ukraine.

The repercussions for us internationally from that kind of Russian success would be a disaster.

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #1839 on: February 11, 2023, 05:42:31 am »

Foreign policy is the purvey of the Executive Branch, not the Legislative Branch.  This is no different than when Edward Boland tied the hands of the Reagan Administration in regards to policy regarding Nicaragua.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Timber Rattler

« Reply #1840 on: February 11, 2023, 12:21:07 pm »
The value of military history in modern conflict....history may not exactly repeat itself but it certainly rhymes.

Each day, President Zelenskiy reads my book on military history. I hope he heeds these warnings

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2023/feb/10/president-zelenskiy-book-military-history-ukraine-war-putin

The Ukrainian president Volodymyr Zelenskiy’s speech to parliament on Wednesday was filled with references to the second world war and Winston Churchill. Just as evil was defeated before, he said, so evil will be defeated today. Comparisons with that momentous conflict have been a common theme throughout Russia’s invasion of Ukraine – but at least we can rest assured that Zelenskiy knows what he’s talking about.

I was flattered when the Economist reported a few weeks ago that Zelenskiy gets up early each morning and reads from my book, Hitler and Stalin: The Tyrants and the Second World War, recently published in Ukrainian translation. I was also impressed that, while trying to win a bloody war against the Russians, he found time to read anything other than official documents.

The only other statesman I could think of who had turned to a history book in a similar situation was John F Kennedy, who was hugely influenced by Barbara Tuchman’s The Guns of August at the time of the Cuban missile crisis. Having read Tuchman’s book, which argued that miscommunications led to the first world war, JFK redoubled his efforts to reach a peaceful solution with Nikita Khrushchev.

My book, alas, can’t play a similar role in the current Ukrainian conflict – not least because during the Cuban missile crisis both sides were open to a deal. But, nonetheless, there are still useful things Zelenskiy can learn from the story of Hitler and Stalin during the second world war.

What surprised me when I started listing the potential parallels was that, consciously or unconsciously, Zelenskiy has already learned much of what this history has to offer, whereas Vladimir Putin has demonstrably not. This is all the more extraordinary because Putin fancies himself as something of an expert on the war.

There are three broad areas of this history that are especially relevant to the conflict in Ukraine. These aren’t lessons that can be applied precisely to the present situation. History doesn’t work like that – the past never repeats itself exactly. But I do think that history can offer us warnings.

(snip)

The first of the warnings is straightforward: leave strategy to your most talented generals. This is a warning Joseph Stalin did not heed. At the start of 1942, and despite having no military training, he ordered a major offensive against the German army around Kharkiv in Ukraine (then known as Kharkov). More gifted military minds – including Marshal Zhukov – saw the idea as needlessly risky and were against it. Nonetheless, Stalin dismissed these concerns and ordered the general staff “not to interfere” with his decision. Stalin, it would transpire, had made a terrible mistake.

(snip)

The next warning is this: overpromising in war can have catastrophic consequences. In September 1942, Adolf Hitler made a speech in which he “assured” the German people that “no one can take us away” from Stalingrad. But within months the Red Army had encircled and destroyed the German sixth army, and liberated the city. The loss of Stalingrad was not just a decisive military defeat for the Wehrmacht, but a turning point in the Germans’ perception of their leader. Hitler had promised that the city would not fall. He had lied. So how could they trust him next time?

(snip)

The final warning is simple: make sure you are clear just what constitutes victory. Hitler failed to do this. He never said how much territory his army had to conquer in the Soviet Union before “victory” was won. The result was that German soldiers were always unsure what goal they had to achieve in order to bring the war to an end.

Excerpt.

Offline bilo

« Reply #1841 on: February 11, 2023, 05:50:56 pm »
The purpose is to prevent the Russians from profiting from their invasion.  As long as the Ukrainians are using the weapons we give them to kill invading Russian troops and destroy Russian war material, it's as good a use of our weaponry as we can ask.

And the Poles, Brits and other are making major contributions as well.

Also, Gaetz isn't asking for an accounting.  He's asking for all military aide to Ukraine to stop, which would obvious be a huge boost to Russian morale, and likely lead to the complete conquest of Ukraine.

The repercussions for us internationally from that kind of Russian success would be a disaster.

I have no problem with sending military aid to Ukraine, but the President should be expected to make his case for it and to clarify what exactly the end goal is. If threatening to cut off all aid is the only way to force the President to make his case I'm all for it.

As far as our European "allies" are concerned the countries with the largest economies have done the least. You're right the UK and Poland have really stepped up, but Germany and France have done more talking than actually doing.

Seeing Russia destroy itself doesn't bother me in the least, but my concern is I don't want to see the USA continue to carry the greatest burden especially without any oversight of what is being given and how it is being used. We can easily forget Ukraine has an issue with corruption because of the evil perpetrated by Russia.

Offline bilo

« Reply #1842 on: February 11, 2023, 05:54:00 pm »
Foreign policy is the purvey of the Executive Branch, not the Legislative Branch.  This is no different than when Edward Boland tied the hands of the Reagan Administration in regards to policy regarding Nicaragua.

You're right that the Executive Branch is in charge of foreign policy, but the Legislative Branch allocates funding. We should have some oversight on what's going on with our money and equipment.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #1843 on: February 11, 2023, 06:08:39 pm »
You're right that the Executive Branch is in charge of foreign policy, but the Legislative Branch allocates funding. We should have some oversight on what's going on with our money and equipment.

The power to declare a war belongs solely in the purview of the Legislative Branch, so there's that.   :shrug: Sloe Joe appears to be maneuvering Congress to do that by making it a fait accompli.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #1844 on: February 11, 2023, 06:23:15 pm »
Same.  Gaetz is a moron.

@Timber Rattler

A male whore "on the stroll" for votes and contributions.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #1845 on: February 11, 2023, 06:28:28 pm »
The next domino.  This is why the West should continue to supply Ukraine with the weapons it needs to beat back the Russian orc.

@Kamaji

True.

If the neo-Soviets get away with invading and taking over control of European nations,it is only a matter of time before they come after us.

Offline bilo

« Reply #1846 on: February 11, 2023, 06:32:03 pm »
The power to declare a war belongs solely in the purview of the Legislative Branch, so there's that.   :shrug: Sloe Joe appears to be maneuvering Congress to do that by making it a fait accompli.

Congress is to willing to go along with it as well and is not demanding a clear plan from the POTUS. If the goal is to help the Ukrainians expel the invaders why aren't we doing more?

The Ukrainian need for better fighter aircraft goes hand in hand with the new package of aid involving tanks. If offensive operations are going to be pursued in a big way Ukraine needs to control the air space. If the aircraft and tanks are American made will they require American personnel to maintain them? If so will American personnel be working in Ukraine? I think these are legitimate issues we need to confront, before we end up with "advisors" in a war zone. I remember we got involved in the Vietnam "conflict" bit by bit.

Offline bilo

« Reply #1847 on: February 11, 2023, 06:36:26 pm »
@Timber Rattler

A male whore "on the stroll" for votes and contributions.

@Timber Rattler

Matt Gaetz is one of the conservative superstars in the House. He will stand up to anybody and fight. He's smart, quick on his feet and insightful.

We should not be so quick to condemn someone who wants some Congressional oversight into what we are sending to Ukraine and why.

Online DB

« Reply #1848 on: February 11, 2023, 06:40:07 pm »
@Timber Rattler

Matt Gaetz is one of the conservative superstars in the House. He will stand up to anybody and fight. He's smart, quick on his feet and insightful.

We should not be so quick to condemn someone who wants some Congressional oversight into what we are sending to Ukraine and why.

But that isn't what Gaetz demanded. He wants peace through capitulation to the aggressor.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #1849 on: February 11, 2023, 06:49:10 pm »
@Timber Rattler

@bilo

Are you kidding? Those clowns need adult babysitters.

AND.....we either help the Europeans stop the Neo-Soviet Union from invading and taking over Europe,or they will be more powerful than ever,and coming after us in just a few years.

The irony here is that Slow Joe and the whores in Congress have sold out America to the Chinese to the point where China may come to our defense in order to keep full-employment making and selling American goods to Americans.