Author Topic: Ukraine 3  (Read 152381 times)

Offline bilo

Re: Ukraine 3
« Reply #625 on: October 13, 2022, 01:28:10 am »
And thanks to the good folks at our Department of State, WE always accommodate!

I think the era of globalization is coming to an end. It's not only the MAGA movement in the USA. Govt's all around the world are changing and the most common thread among the change is the desire of the voters for their govt to focus on their country. The USA has propped up a globalized world and at least half of us want it ended.
A stranger in a hostile foreign land I used to call home

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #626 on: October 13, 2022, 01:41:15 am »
Huge Ukrainian Offensive in Luhansk?

https://www.battleswarmblog.com/?p=52929

Weeb Union (not my favorite Ukraine war mapper channel) is reporting a huge Ukrainian offensive just got underway in Luhansk:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJAia5Mn-3o&t=2s

Takeaways:

•  “The reported numbers in this offensive is between 35,000 and 40,000 Ukrainian soldiers over a length of about 50 kilometers.”

•  Goal seems to be full control of the P-66 highway running from Troitske to Kreminna.

•  “They are trying to attack and capture Svatova.”

•  “Svatova is the supply hub of the Russian army here in the Luhansk border.”

•  He postulates this is the last Ukrainian offensive before Russian mobilization reinforcements reach the area. I think he greatly overestimates the effect Russia’s hastily mobilized, ill-equipped and ill-trained new recruits might have on the battlefield.

Not seeing any confirmation elsewhere yet. Developing…

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #627 on: October 13, 2022, 01:49:25 am »
Svatove will be a big win for Ukraine.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #628 on: October 13, 2022, 01:58:53 am »
Now that Russia has emptied their prisons, military police are now waiting outside of food lines, shelters, and other programs for impoverished or drug alcohol treatment facilities, forcing them onto buses and shipping them to the frontlines. This has happened in many counties in history when they are losing a war. Next, they will go to the high schools to start rounding up young boys.

Putin has destroyed Russia's future.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #629 on: October 13, 2022, 03:31:21 am »
Next, they will go to the high schools to start rounding up young boys.

Putin has destroyed Russia's future.

If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #630 on: October 13, 2022, 04:08:38 am »
Bloomberg
@business

Ukraine will need at least $3 billion a month next year to finance its wartime economy, which means allies will have to step up with more support, the head of the International Monetary Fund said

War-Torn Ukraine Needs at Least $3 Billion a Month in 2023, IMF Says
Ukraine will need at least $3 billion a month next year to finance its wartime economy, which means allies will have to step up with more support, the head of the International Monetary Fund said.
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2022-10-12/ukraine-needs-at-least-3-billion-a-month-next-year-imf-says?utm_campaign=socialflow-organic&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter&cmpid=socialflow-twitter-business&utm_content=business

5:54 PM · Oct 12, 2022   SocialFlow

« Reply #631 on: October 13, 2022, 04:21:28 am »
Glenn Greenwald
@ggreenwald

The marriage between neocons and left-liberals (meaning the areas where leftists and liberals align: now most places) began with Russiagate.

But this was always the key: Russiagate wasn't just a dumb domestic scandal but also, way more importantly, a foreign policy/CIA campaign.

10:06 AM · Oct 11, 2022  ·Twitter Web App

« Reply #632 on: October 13, 2022, 04:29:38 am »
Glenn Greenwald
@ggreenwald

For the first few months of the war, it was deemed "Russian propaganda" to say what was so obvious, even after Obama's former CIA Director Leon Panetta admitted it: this is a proxy war between the US and Russia.

It's seen this way around the world:

Branko Marcetic
@BMarchetich
·Oct 11

Meanwhile, Hungarian PM Orban says what numerous advocates for diplomacy have been saying for many, many months: negotiations will only work if it's *the US* and Russia at the table.

https://politico.eu/article/viktor-orban-donald-trump-end-war-ukraine-russia/

12:18 PM · Oct 11, 2022  ·Twitter Web App

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #633 on: October 13, 2022, 12:14:52 pm »
Impotent Missile Strikes Can’t Reverse Russia’s Losing as Beginning of the End of the War Unfolds

Small Wars Journal By Brian E. Frydenborg 10/12/2022

https://smallwarsjournal.com/jrnl/art/impotent-missile-strikes-cant-reverse-russias-losing-beginning-end-war-unfolds

This Is the Beginning of the End of the War.  The current Ukrainian advances will be the ones to push Russian ground forces completely out of Ukraine, leaving any remaining combat to take place on or just over the border with Russia or with longer-range systems, ending major ground combat operations on Ukrainian soil

SILVER SPRING—Since early march, I have been bullish—very bullish—on Ukraine’s prospects for victory, but even I am continually thrilled and elated at how often Ukraine surprises me by exceeding even my high expectations.  And, after the latest events, it is clear to me now that in many ways, we are seeing the beginning of the end of the war, at least in terms of major ground combat operations in Ukraine not on the border with Russia.  I don’t mean to imply that this is soon, but that these current operations will lead to and include both the climax and most of the denouement, even if it takes months, half a year, or longer.

How I Got to Here

Back in April, after Russia had collapsed quickly on the Kyiv, Chernihiv, and Sumy fronts, I realized that if (when, for me) Ukraine could retake Kherson City and the rest of the west bank of the Dnipro River in Kherson Oblast, that would mean that the bulk of Russian forces would have been exhausted, weakened, damaged, or even destroyed, with little to stop for long a determined Ukrainian advance along the additional sixty-ish miles to the northern border of Crimea with Kherson Oblast.

While in April I was focused on the eventual coming of Crimea into play (including how Ukraine would very likely take out the Kerch Strait/Crimean Bridge)—itself inspired by my piece analyzing how anti-ship missiles would soon sideline or even destroy the Russian Navy (and in which I was probably the only person, at least in English, to predict the sinking of the Moskva in an article before it happened)—by late July, with Russia having stalled in a spectacularly pathetic fashion, I was focused on explaining why Ukraine will win and then, in early August, the logical follow up: how Ukraine will win.

At the time, Russia had already begun moving significant numbers of troops—including some of its remaining better-quality troops and equipment that hadn’t yet been destroyed or routed—from the eastern theater to the southern theater, from the Donbas line running through the Luhansk and Donetsk Oblasts, mainly to Kherson and Zaporizhzhia Oblasts, neither of which were fully under Kremlin control (indeed, the regional capital city of Zaporizhzhia Oblast was and still is not under Russian control).

I noted then that this was taking troops from more easily defended terrain and more entrenched positions and moving them to less defensible terrain and less dug-in positions.  Furthermore, just as strikes with advanced recently supplied precision Western weapons—designed specifically in years past to counter the very weapons Russia was deploying against Ukraine—had decimated Russian logistics, ammunition dumps, command posts and headquarters, and communications on the Donbas front (both on the front line and well-behind the front in the Russian rear) to the point that Russia had lost all major offensive capability there, that had all also started to happen on the Kherson front in the south.  In fact, even before Russia’s reinforcements began arriving in the south, these attacks were so effective that damage to key regional bridges across the Dnipro River along with all the other attacks had effectively trapped thousands of Russian troops on the west bank of the Dnipro and largely cut off their escape and resupply.

Knowing how poorly-led the Russians were, Ukraine took its time, announcing far ahead of time that they were coming large, hard, and fast for Kherson, baiting the Russians into committing more troops into an easily-cut-off position so that they added thousands more to the troops stuck on the west bank of the Dnipro River, waiting to more severely disable all the bridges so that now, there are as many as 25,000 Russian troops that are effectively cut off and in the process of being encircled.

And, in a masterstroke the type of which I anticipated (but not its location), while all this was unfolding, Ukraine saw a major target of opportunity in the Kharkiv sector and smashed Russia’s entire Kharkiv front back literally thousands of square miles in a just days.  I had noted in my early August piece that Russia’s redeployments from the east to the south would weaken its strength there and provide just such targets of opportunity, on which I fully expected Ukraine would sniff out and capitalize; it was somewhat mathematical.

The intrepid and swift Ukrainians exceeded even my expectations, though, with this Kharkiv sector smashthrough (“breakthrough” doesn’t really do it justice) and it continuing through to the important nearby Russian logistics hub of Lyman in Donetsk and beyond.  Both a tertiary-, relatively-sideshow front compared to the Donbas and Kherson fronts but also and extension of the Russian Donbas line, the Kharkiv front presented the Russians to the Ukrainians at their weakest, with the Ukrainians completely surprising and outmaneuvering them.  Throughout the Kharkiv sector fighting, it was clear that advanced Ukrainian weaponry supplied by the West, which had destroyed Russian air-defenses and also gave Ukraine effective air-defenses, had actually given Ukraine air superiority—and not Russia—on the front lines (still one of the great ongoing stories of this war).  Thus, during these offensives, Russia has been unable to provide effective air cover or reconnaissance for its inferiorly-equipped troops (who have far less night-vision equipment than their Ukrainian counterparts).  All these and other factors explain why the fighting has been so one-sided of late.

More at link.

Online Kamaji

« Reply #634 on: October 13, 2022, 12:28:30 pm »
Ukraine brushes off Putin’s latest strikes by seizing back five key villages in territory just annexed by Russia

By JAMES FRANEY FOR THE DAILY MAIL
12 October 2022

Ukraine yesterday brushed off Putin’s latest strikes on its cities by seizing back five key villages in territory Russia has just annexed. 

Kyiv has vowed to retake the entire region of Kherson by the end of the year after launching its counter-offensive in August.

It was one of four regions claimed by Russia last month after sham votes. The Ukrainian presidency said troops have ‘liberated five more settlements in the Beryslav district [in the Kherson region]’.

Russia continued to attack civilian targets. A missile hit a market in the eastern city of Avdiivka, killing at least nine. Other strikes targeted energy production near Dnipro.

Source:  https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-11309861/Ukraine-brushes-Putins-latest-strikes-seizing-five-key-villages.html?ico=topics_pagination_desktop

Online Kamaji

« Reply #635 on: October 13, 2022, 12:30:41 pm »
‘You think you’re a superpower… and you’re not’: Vladimir Putin now knows he’s ‘not invincible’ after Ukraine losses, says UK defense secretary Ben Wallace

By MAILONLINE REPORTER
13 October 2022

UK defense minister Ben Wallace says Vladimir Putin has found out he is not invincible and that Russia is not a superpower after embarrassing setback in the war with Ukraine. The Defense Secretary said the authoritarian leader's 'strategic assumptions seem to be wrong all over the place' and that he is facing discontent among troops sent to fight in Ukraine. The 52-year-old said months of war, which has seen Russia forced to call up hundreds of thousands of reserves in the wake of tremendous losses to its professional army, means now 'the basic Ukrainian soldier is better than the basic Russian soldier.'

The Secretary of State for Defense (pictured), who served in the Scots Guards for seven years before becoming an MP, said it was vital the international community continues to stand with Ukraine as it battles against Putin's forces. He added that the authoritarian leader would have no qualms shoving millions of people 'into a meat grinder with no rules, no regard for human lives and innocent people and civilians.' He made the remarks in an interview with the Evening Standard, in which he said Putin had believed his 'own hype' and 'counted tanks on the parade ground and presume you are invincible and you are not.'

Mr Wallace said that the conflict, which has turned a large part of eastern Europe into a warzone needs to end in defeat for Putin. He said that while 'superpowers have lost wars before,' the eight-month war in Ukraine will have led Putin to realize 'he's not a superpower.' He told the paper that Ukraine has been underestimated and Russia overestimated at every step, but that the number of people Putin can 'shove into a meat grinder' is on his side. He said: 'If that is successful, that will send a message across the whole world that that's how you win wars. We cannot, the international community, accept that.' Pictured: Ukrainian solders firing weapons towards Russian forces near Toretsk in the Donetsk region.

Source:  https://www.dailymail.co.uk/galleries/article-11310929/Vladimir-Putin-knows-hes-not-invincible-Ukraine-losses.html

Online Kamaji

« Reply #636 on: October 14, 2022, 12:51:24 pm »
Russia urges civilians to 'leave with their children' and evacuate Kherson for their own safety in a sign of Vladimir Putin's weakening hold on the annexed region as Ukrainian forces continue to advance

By MAILONLINE REPORTER
14 October 2022

Russia has urged civilians to 'leave with their children' and evacuate Kherson for their own safety in a sign of Vladimir Putin's weakening hold on the annexed region as Ukrainian forces continue to advance. Evacuees are expected to begin arriving in Russia on Friday after a Moscow-installed official strongly urged residents to leave Ukraine's southern Kherson region. Vladimir Saldo had urged all civilians to 'protect themselves' as he cited daily rocket attacks by Kyiv forces. Pictured: A dynamo Kyiv fan displays a banner reading 'Kherson is Ukraine' during a soccer game in Marshal Jozef Pilsudski Stadium, Krakow, Poland on October 13, 2022.

The Kherson administration chief was speaking mainly to residents on the west bank of the Dnipro River which includes the regional capital — the only major Ukrainian city Russia has captured intact since Putin began his invasion in February. 'We suggested that all residents of the Kherson region, if they wish, to protect themselves from the consequences of missile strikes... go to other regions,' Saldo said in a video message. And it has now been claimed that the first civilians fleeing from Kherson are due to arrive in Russia's southern region of Rostov on Friday, TASS news agency reports. Pictured: Ukrainian servicemen check the trenches dug by Russian soldiers in a retaken area in Kherson region, Ukraine, on October 12, 2022.

Kherson is one of four partially occupied Ukrainian provinces that Russia claims to have annexed in recent weeks, and arguably the most strategically important. It controls both the only land route to the Crimea peninsula Russia seized in 2014, and the mouth of the Dnipro, the 2,200-kilometer-long (1,367-mile-long) river that bisects Ukraine. Pictured: Ukrainian soldiers retook settlements in Kherson last week.

Source:  https://www.dailymail.co.uk/galleries/article-11315183/Russians-urged-leave-children-evacuate-Kherson.html

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #637 on: October 14, 2022, 02:28:13 pm »
Bloomberg
@business

Ukraine will need at least $3 billion a month next year to finance its wartime economy, which means allies will have to step up with more support, the head of the International Monetary Fund said

5:54 PM · Oct 12, 2022   SocialFlow

Ukraine will need at least $3 billion a month next year to finance its wartime economy, which means allies will have to step up with more support, the head of the International Monetary Fund said.

“Our current thinking is that the financing requirements” will be around $3 billion to $4 billion a month, Kristalina Georgieva said at a meeting in Washington on Wednesday . . .

@Right_in_Virginia , the person in the photo you included with this article does not at all look like Kristalina Georgieva, the person making the statement.  The IMF is in Washington lobbying the regime for more money for themselves.  Yet you dishonestly attributed her words to someone else in an attempt to deceive others by projecting an untrue narrative.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #638 on: October 14, 2022, 02:39:36 pm »
Russia continues intensified bombardments into fifth day

5h ago  |  05:12

Russia is keeping up its targeted attacks on critical infrastructure across Ukraine, in a fifth straight day of intensified bombardments.

Multiple Russian missile strikes shook the capital of the Zaphorizhzhia region overnight as the city continued to be a focal point for Russian fire.

Zaporizhzhia regional Governor Oleksandr Starukh said Friday morning several explosions were reported in the city overnight at infrastructure facilities, causing fires.

Preliminary reports mentioned no victims.

Russian forces have struck the regional capital and the surrounding area continuously in recent days and weeks, creating concerns about the safety of the nearby nuclear power plant.

The regional capital is about 100 miles (160 kilometers) from the plant, which is the largest nuclear power facility in Europe.

The heavier Russian barrage began last Monday and comes as Ukraine pushes its military counteroffensive on the southern front.

https://news.sky.com/story/ukraine-latest-news-putin-moves-iranian-drones-into-belarus-as-moscow-warns-west-of-uncontrolled-escalation-12541713?postid=4655211#liveblog-body

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #639 on: October 14, 2022, 02:47:45 pm »
Rescuers arrive at destroyed residential building in Ukraine

21 hours ago

An 11-year old boy was rescued from the rubble of a shelled residential building in Mykolaiv in southern Ukraine on Thursday morning.

In footage released by Ukrainian authorities, the boy could be seen covered in a blanket as he was taken out of the destroyed building on a stretcher.

An official statement said the boy had been trapped for more than six hours after a five-storey block was hit by Russian missiles. Teams continued to search for more people after he was pulled out.

The attack comes during a week of intense Russian bombardments, the heaviest in months. Targets included energy infrastructures and other non-military targets - including a children's playground.

https://www.bbc.com/news/av/world-europe-63249300

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #640 on: October 14, 2022, 03:23:57 pm »
"Pure cannon fodder": BBC on deaths of recently conscripted Russians

KATERYNA TYSHCHENKO  |  13 OCTOBER 2022  |  20:14

Russia has acknowledged the deaths of several of its conscripts in Ukraine. Russian media reports that these soldiers have been sent to the front without training.

Source: BBC News Russian

BBC journalists identified three out of five soldiers [whose deaths were reported by the Chelyabinsk Oblast military commissariat on Thursday, 13 October]: Anton Borisov, Igor Yevseev and Timur Akhmetshin.

They were conscripted by the Korkino military commissariat [in Chelyabinsk Oblast, Russia] between 26 and 29 September. A total of almost 1,000 people were conscripted around that time, the relatives of the deceased said.

On 3 October, the men found themselves near Luhansk. From there, they were transferred to Kherson Oblast. By 9 October, their relatives received the first death notifications.

An acquaintance of one of the soldiers shared a recording of their phone call in which one conscript from Chelyabinsk Oblast, currently hospitalised in Sevastopol (Crimea), explains the circumstances of the death of the five men to another recently conscripted soldier who is preparing to depart for the front.

Quote: "The first day we arrived [at the front], without having ever used a gun, we were deployed in an assault group with only two grenade launchers – we were pure cannon fodder. I had to read a manual on how to use [the grenade launchers]. On the third day, we retreated, spent the night, then advanced and took positions in the trenches.

[The Ukrainians] had taken up their positions some 200 metres away from us and began to storm us. Drones were dropping [grenades?] on us, one after the other. I was [injured]. We were shooting at them for another hour, but they were already only 50 metres away. We had no cover, the armoured vehicle that was covering us burned down, the tank burned down. During a quieter moment, I ran, corpses all around me. I heard a mortar-launched bomb fly by. I don’t know how I got out of there."  .  .

https://www.pravda.com.ua/eng/news/2022/10/13/7371864/

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Online DB

« Reply #641 on: October 14, 2022, 03:29:18 pm »
So is Russia killing off its people to stir up anger against Ukraine? What other motivations is there? All their anger should be directed at Putin and those in power who follow his orders.

Online mountaineer

« Reply #642 on: October 14, 2022, 04:03:41 pm »
President Xi of China must be laughing his head off at the ineptness of the Russian military.  Putin conscripts children and old men, and the US Dept. of Defense holds drag queen events and offers sex-change surgery to soldiers. Barron's:  Xi Decade Reshapes China's Military, And The Region
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

« Reply #643 on: October 14, 2022, 04:16:27 pm »

@Right_in_Virginia , the person in the photo you included with this article does not at all look like Kristalina Georgieva, the person making the statement. 

Recheck my post, Sparky.  I did not include the graphic as part of the tweet.

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #644 on: October 14, 2022, 04:30:50 pm »
Recheck my post, Sparky.  I did not include the graphic as part of the tweet.

This is your post, no?

https://www.gopbriefingroom.com/index.php/topic,478214.msg2721636.html#msg2721636

You posted tweet.  You posted photo.  Together in the same post.  It is dishonest.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

« Reply #645 on: October 14, 2022, 04:59:27 pm »
This is your post, no?

You posted tweet.  You posted photo.  Together in the same post.  It is dishonest.

The graphic is after the end of the tweet ----  it is not a part of it.  Sorry, I didn't mean to confuse you.   Here's the graphic solo for your viewing comfort-----

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #646 on: October 14, 2022, 05:38:27 pm »
The graphic is after the end of the tweet ----  it is not a part of it.  Sorry, I didn't mean to confuse you.   Here's the graphic solo for your viewing comfort-----

What you were trying to do was falsely portray Zelenskiy as asking for more money by attaching him to a statement made by someone else.  It wasn't Zelenskiy saying it.  It was Kristalina Georgieva who does not represent the Ukrainian government.  The IMF is lobbying Washington for more cash, yet you tried pinning that on Zelenskiy.  Again, it is dishonest.  And instead of owning it, here you are trying to play innocent.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

« Reply #647 on: October 14, 2022, 06:27:32 pm »
What you were trying to do was falsely portray Zelenskiy as asking for more money .....

You shoud consider taking a nice, long walk outside for a needed change in focus----- and I propose this most sincerely.   

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #648 on: October 14, 2022, 06:49:22 pm »
You shoud consider taking a nice, long walk outside for a needed change in focus----- and I propose this most sincerely.

Then help me understand.  Explain to me your connection between the article linking Kristalina Georgieva lobbying for more money and the image portraying Zelenskiy asking for money?  Seriously.  What was the point you were trying to make?

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #649 on: October 14, 2022, 07:25:02 pm »
If we have to lock Thread 3, there will not be another thread.  js.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed: