Author Topic: In Afghanistan $7.1B in planes, trucks, weapons seized by Taliban since withdrawal: DOD watchdog  (Read 258 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
In Afghanistan $7.1B in planes, trucks, weapons seized by Taliban since withdrawal: DOD watchdog

Ground vehicles accounted for the lion's share of the equipment left behind.
By   JUSTIN KATZ
on August 16, 2022 at 1:34 PM

WASHINGTON — Nearly one year after the last US military aircraft departed Kabul, the Pentagon’s top watchdog says approximately $7.1 billion in US-funded planes, trucks and weaponry, all provided to the Afghan military, has been seized by the Taliban.

The breakdown includes $923 million in aircraft, $4.1 billion in ground vehicles and $511.8 million in weapons, according to a report published today by the inspector general for Operation Enduring Sentinel and Operation Freedom’s Sentinel. The report was produced as part of the watchdog’s quarterly updates to Congress on the military campaigns.

The inspector general does not further itemize specific numbers of assets seized by the Taliban, but notes the range of vehicles from Hummers to MRAPs to other tactical vehicles, as well as the hundreds of thousands of small arms, including thousands of sniper rifles and pistols, the US purchased for the Afghan military over the years — much of which was still believed to be in the government inventory when Kabul fell.

https://breakingdefense.com/2022/08/in-afghanistan-7-1b-in-planes-trucks-weapons-seized-by-taliban-since-withdrawal-dod-watchdog/?_ga=2.125966797.1179099338.1660581532-1659196180.1658699510
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Ground vehicles accounted for the lion's share of the equipment left behind.

To me, that seems like an awful lot of "ground equipment." :pondering:
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson