Author Topic: FBI claims only 4.4% of active shooter incidents were thwarted by armed citizens, but real figure ma  (Read 733 times)

Online libertybele

FBI claims only 4.4% of active shooter incidents were thwarted by armed citizens, but real figure may be closer to 14.6%

John R. Lott Jr., the president of the Crime Prevention Research Center (CPRC), revealed in a report published on Wednesday by RealClearInvestigations that the FBI grossly underestimates (i.e., by an order of more than three) the number of times an armed citizen has thwarted an active shooter event. He suggested that the narrative constructed by the FBI and developed further by the media on the basis of the allegedly skewed data interpretation may be misused for political purposes.

Whereas the FBI reported that 4.4% of active shooter incidents between 2014 and 2021 were precluded or ended by armed citizens, the CPRC has found that the number is actually 14.6%. Lott admits that even this figure may be an underestimate.

Lott attributes the discrepancy to misclassified shootings and to overlooked incidents, both of which have much to do with how an "active shooter event" has been defined.

The FBI defines an active shooter as "an individual actively engaged in killing or attempting to kill people in a populated area." An "active shooter incident" reportedly does not account for incidents the Bureau "deems related to other criminal activity, such as a robbery or fighting over drug turf."

Not only does the Bureau's selective definition allegedly mean that the number of active shooter incidents reported between 2014 and 2021 is smaller (252 as opposed to 281), but also that the number of incidents stopped by an armed citizen is smaller (11 as opposed to 41). ................

https://www.theblaze.com/news/armed-citizens-stop-more-active-shooters-than-otherwise-reported
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
Waiting for Politico Fact Check to set the record straight.

Oh and will the WAPO give it 4 Pinocchio's
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline mountaineer

Stats, schmats. I care about my safety, and that's why I carry.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
 :silly: When the gun grabbers try to make arguments in support of their agenda they often say things like 'if taking guns away from law abiding Americans saves just one life it's worth it'. Of course when it comes to a law abiding gun owner using their gun to save one or often more than one life that same argument is crass and simply rhetoric. FBI crime and shooting stats have been manipulated by them for many decades.

The FBI, like the DOJ have so soiled their beds that whenever I hear or read the FBI or DOJ says, the first thing that comes to mind is

Offline verga

In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
�More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.�-Woody Allen
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken him completely by surprise.

Offline Sighlass

• Didn't vote for McCain Dole Romney Trump !
Most active shooters are in city environments where return fire is not easy without risking being sued for missing and hitting someone. Face it, that fellow that shot the mall shooter a while back did it with a handgun at 40 yards in a stressful situation (hit like 80% of his shots too). I just ain't that good, especially with a small caliber 380 with a short barrel. I am more likely to duck, run, and get to a long gun if possible. It would have to be extremely close conditions for me to fire.

Your personal Mileage may vary ... just stating mine.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2022, 03:03:08 am by Sighlass »
Exodus 18:21 Furthermore, you shall select out of all the people able men who fear God, men of truth, those who hate dishonest gain; and you shall place these over them as leaders over ....

Offline verga

Most active shooters are in city environments where return fire is not easy without risking being sued for missing and hitting someone. Face it, that fellow that shot the mall shooter a while back did it with a handgun at 40 yards in a stressful situation (hit like 80% of his shots too). I just ain't that good, especially with a small caliber 380 with a short barrel. I am more likely to duck, run, and get to a long gun if possible. It would have to be extremely close conditions for me to fire.

Your personal Mileage may vary ... just stating mine.
Agreed, give me a long gun and anything under 500 years your @$$ is mine. With a pistol 50-60 feet max.
In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
�More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.�-Woody Allen
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken him completely by surprise.