Author Topic: Democrat Senator: 'Doing All These Bills by Reconciliation Is Not the Right Way to Do It'  (Read 1182 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
 Democrat Senator: 'Doing All These Bills by Reconciliation Is Not the Right Way to Do It'
By Susan Jones | August 8, 2022 | 6:02am EDT

(CNSNews.com) - Even some Democrats who voted for the so-called Inflation Reduction Act on Sunday aren't thrilled with everything that's in it -- nor are they happy about the reconciliation process that allowed it to pass.

Budget reconciliation bills require only a simple majority to pass, and when the Senate's 50 Democrats can't get Republican support, as in this case, they turn to reconciliation for bills involving budgetary items.

Sen. Ben Cardin (D-Md.) voted for the tax-and-spend bill that passed on Sunday, with Vice President Kamala Harris adding the 51st vote. But he knows this isn't the way to do it:

more
https://cnsnews.com/article/washington/susan-jones/democrat-senator-doing-all-these-bills-reconciliation-not-right-way
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Hoodat

'Doing All These Bills by Reconciliation Is Not the Right Way to Do It'

Yet by your actions, Sen. Cardin, you were a part of 'doing it the wrong way'.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline libertybele

Yet by your actions, Sen. Cardin, you were a part of 'doing it the wrong way'.

How many other 'bills' are tucked into the Inflation Reduction Act??
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Polly Ticks

Blah blah blah.
Until you put your money where your mouth is, you're nothing but a bloviator.
Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Offline DefiantMassRINO

He could have voted against it if reconciliation is so wrong.

That's okay, if GOP takes back Congress, and they are not too distracted by their worthless investigations of Hunter Biden, they can use Reconciliation to defund the Corporation for Public Broadcasting, National Endowment for the Arts, Planned Parenthood, etc.
Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit

I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.
"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Offline Right_in_Virginia

BowTiedRanger
@BowTiedRanger

We are witnessing what can only be described as the looting of the treasury before the fall of an empire.

5:33 PM · Aug 7, 2022  Twitter for iPhone

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
This double-talking azzhole proved that he's OK with it with his Aye votes.  If he had a principled bone in his body he'd have voted "Nay."

So, screw you, Senator Cardin.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline libertybele

BowTiedRanger
@BowTiedRanger

We are witnessing what can only be described as the looting of the treasury before the fall of an empire.

5:33 PM · Aug 7, 2022  Twitter for iPhone

Truth.  8888crybaby
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Hoodat

He could have voted against it if reconciliation is so wrong.

That's okay, if GOP takes back Congress, and they are not too distracted by their worthless investigations of Hunter Biden, they can use Reconciliation to defund the Corporation for Public Broadcasting, National Endowment for the Arts, Planned Parenthood, etc.

They chose not to do this with a Republican President in office.  But now that Dems control the White House, they probably would expend the effort to do this knowing that it will be vetoed.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Hoodat

BowTiedRanger
@BowTiedRanger

This isn't a looting of the Treasury.  This is a looting of your own personal wealth.  $700+ billion in new spending (from freshly printed money) will be paid for by decreasing everyone's net worth through inflation.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Polly Ticks

This isn't a looting of the Treasury.  This is a looting of your own personal wealth.  $700+ billion in new spending (from freshly printed money) will be paid for by decreasing everyone's net worth through inflation.

QFT
Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Offline DefiantMassRINO

Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit

I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.
"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Offline Killer Clouds

This double-talking azzhole proved that he's OK with it with his Aye votes.  If he had a principled bone in his body he'd have voted "Nay."

So, screw you, Senator Cardin.
:thumbsup: EXACTLY! They disagree with it and know it's wrong but voted for it anyway? BS! DCP = lying hypocrite.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

The really big problem is not reconciliation as much as it is a huge government spending bill was made into law by not one single vote from the other party.

Any Democrat Senator should pause and try to convince the other party to accept rather than this strongarm approach.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Hoodat

The really big problem is not reconciliation as much as it is a huge government spending bill was made into law by not one single vote from the other party.

That "other party" had the means to block it.  They chose not to.  It would have upset their Saturday night dinner plans.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Support the USO

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
That "other party" had the means to block it.  They chose not to.  It would have upset their Saturday night dinner plans.

The Republicans had 50 out of 50 Senators present for a vote that required only a simple majority.  I'm not sure I know exactly how the "other party" could have blocked that.  If there were parliamentary tricks that could have been done to stop it cold (not delay), I'd like to hear about them.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Support the USO

Offline Hoodat

The Republicans had 50 out of 50 Senators present for a vote that required only a simple majority.  I'm not sure I know exactly how the "other party" could have blocked that.  If there were parliamentary tricks that could have been done to stop it cold (not delay), I'd like to hear about them.

Stop it cold?  No.  Delay 'til the clock ran out?  Yes.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵

Ayn Rand nailed it when she referred to Leftists as "Looters."
I will NOT comply.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Stop it cold?  No.  Delay 'til the clock ran out?  Yes.

Ummm..OK.   How to delay if for over 3 months until the next session?  I can find plenty of reasons to lay this at McConnell's feet, but the other 49 Senators did the best they could.

And I still don't know how it could have been delayed that long.   :shrug:
I will NOT comply.

Offline Hoodat

Ummm..OK.   How to delay if for over 3 months until the next session?  I can find plenty of reasons to lay this at McConnell's feet, but the other 49 Senators did the best they could.

And I still don't know how it could have been delayed that long.   :shrug:

What's the longest book you know?  Atlas Shrugged is over 1100 pages.  Introduce an amendment stating that the text of Atlas Shrugged must be read on the Senate floor before the law can take effect, and then list the text as follows:  .  .  .

Just the reading of that Amendment would take at least two weeks.  When that amendment gets voted down, introduce another one just like it, but replacing Atlas Shrugged with War and Peace.  Lather, rinse, repeat until Jan 5, 2023.  By rule, any amendment offered in reconciliation must be read in its entirety on the Senate floor.  No amendment can be refused.  And no cloture vote is allowed.

You asked if there was a way to stop it.  Yes, there is.  But it would require a GOP Senator to remain on the Senate floor while the Senate is in session.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
What's the longest book you know?  Atlas Shrugged is over 1100 pages.  Introduce an amendment stating that the text of Atlas Shrugged must be read on the Senate floor before the law can take effect, and then list the text as follows:  .  .  .

Just the reading of that Amendment would take at least two weeks.  When that amendment gets voted down, introduce another one just like it, but replacing Atlas Shrugged with War and Peace.  Lather, rinse, repeat until Jan 5, 2023.  By rule, any amendment offered in reconciliation must be read in its entirety on the Senate floor.  No amendment can be refused.  And no cloture vote is allowed.

You asked if there was a way to stop it.  Yes, there is.  But it would require a GOP Senator to remain on the Senate floor while the Senate is in session.

Like any Republican is going to do that. I see your point. I was hoping to be regaled by another dramatic reading of Green Eggs and Ham....
I will NOT comply.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Three contractors are bidding to fix a broken fence at the White House.
One is from Chicago, another is from Kentucky, and the third is from New Orleans.
All three go with a White House official to examine the fence.

The New Orleans contractor takes out a tape measure and does some measuring, then works some figures with a pencil. "Well," he says, "I figure the job will run about $9,000. That's $4,000 for materials, $4,000 for my crew and $1,000 profit for me."

The Kentucky contractor also does some measuring and figuring, then says, "I can do this job for $7,000. That's $3,000 for materials, $3,000 for my crew and $1,000 profit for me."

The Chicago contractor doesn't measure or figure, but leans over to the White House official and whispers, "$27,000. $10K for me $10k for you and we hire the guy from Kentucky to do the job!"

"Done!" Says the White House official.

And now you know how government contracting actually works!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline berdie

Three contractors are bidding to fix a broken fence at the White House.
One is from Chicago, another is from Kentucky, and the third is from New Orleans.
All three go with a White House official to examine the fence.

The New Orleans contractor takes out a tape measure and does some measuring, then works some figures with a pencil. "Well," he says, "I figure the job will run about $9,000. That's $4,000 for materials, $4,000 for my crew and $1,000 profit for me."

The Kentucky contractor also does some measuring and figuring, then says, "I can do this job for $7,000. That's $3,000 for materials, $3,000 for my crew and $1,000 profit for me."

The Chicago contractor doesn't measure or figure, but leans over to the White House official and whispers, "$27,000. $10K for me $10k for you and we hire the guy from Kentucky to do the job!"

"Done!" Says the White House official.

And now you know how government contracting actually works!

There is humor in truth, I suppose. :laugh: