Author Topic: The Astros had a brilliant answer to the Mariners hitting Jose Altuve on the first pitch  (Read 329 times)

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
USA Today by Andrew Joseph 7/31/2022

Earlier this season, the Seattle Mariners were involved in the biggest baseball brawl we’ve seen in years. And on Sunday, they were fortunate to avoid a similar scene in Houston.

Mariners All-Star rookie outfielder Julio Rodriguez was placed on the 10-day Injured List after he was hit on the right hand by a pitch mid-swing in Saturday’s game. Though X-rays were negative and the pitch clearly wasn’t intentional, the Mariners didn’t exactly take a subtle approach to retribution in Sunday’s game.

With George Kirby on the mound for Seattle, Astros star Jose Altuve was hit up high with a 95 mph fastball on the very first pitch Houston saw in the game.

Altuve went down for a few seconds before returning to his feet, nodding that he was OK. It certainly appeared to be retaliation for Rodriguez’s injury, and Yuli Gurriel avoided a high-and-tight pitch the following at-bat.

The game easily could have gotten out of hand at that point, but the Astros instead used the free baserunner to their advantage. Later in the inning, Altuve would score on a perfectly executed double steal of home.

More: https://ftw.usatoday.com/lists/jose-altuve-double-steal-video-hit-by-pitch-astros-mariners-julio-rodriguez-fans-reaction

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
From my networks, it has become evident that the M's have become the dirtiest team in the league. 

I'd have a nastry attitude  too if I haven't been to the playoffs since 2001.  Longest drought in the majors.

# of Mariner's playoff series since 2001- Zero
# of Astros playoff series since 2001- 21
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.