Author Topic: Earth Is Spinning Faster Than Usual, Giving Us the Shortest Day EVER Recorded  (Read 701 times)

rebewranger

Earth Is Spinning Faster Than Usual, Giving Us the Shortest Day EVER Recorded
Tim Newcomb - Yesterday 2:01 PM

On June 29, Earth experienced its shortest-ever day—1.59 milliseconds less than 24 hours.
The apparent speed-up of Earth’s rotation could be attributed to the “Chandler Wobble.”
This minuscule change in time could introduce the need for a negative leap second.
If it seems like the world is moving fast, know that it truly is.

On June 29, the National Physical Laboratory in England recorded the shortest day in history: 1.59 milliseconds less than 24 hours. And Earth’s quick-spinning day earlier this summer isn’t a one-off fluke, either.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/technology/earth-is-spinning-faster-than-usual-giving-us-the-shortest-day-ever-recorded/ar-AA10c2rQ?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=f15bdfba6200457b88d1a0b8c1af6ed2

rebewranger

It HAS TO BE caused by global warming! 000hehehehe
« Last Edit: August 02, 2022, 10:57:51 am by rangerrebew »

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Earth just had its shortest day ever — and an irregular wobble at the poles may be to blame

ZME Science by Tibi Puiu August 2, 2022

https://www.zmescience.com/science/news-science/earth-just-had-its-shortest-day-ever-and-an-irregular-wobble-at-the-poles-may-be-to-blame/

Days were actually supposed to get longer, not shorter. What gives?

If you thought time flies way too fast these days, you’re not technically wrong. On June 29, Earth experienced the shortest day ever since record-keeping with high-precision atomic clocks began, clocking in a full revolution around its axis 1.59 milliseconds short of 24 hours.

The days on Earth are supposed to get increasingly longer as time passes due to exchanges in angular momentums between Earth and the Moon. When life on the planet first emerged, about 3.5 billion years ago, a day lasted 12 hours. At the emergence of photosynthesis 2.5 billion years ago, the day lasted 18 hours. And 1.7 billion years ago when the first eukaryotic cells emerged, a day lasted 21 hours long.

While Earth’s rotation speed is on a decreasing trend, the past few decades have been an anomaly with the planet’s spin going against the grain and actually turning faster.

In 2020, scientists registered 28 of the shortest days in the past 50 years, with the shortest of those, on 19 July, shaving 1.47 milliseconds off the 86,400 seconds that make up 24 hours. The new 29 June record is just a few milliseconds shorter, but it still counts.

It’s not entirely clear why days are getting shorter rather than longer as they have across geological history, but there are many factors that can have an influence. Strong winds during El Nino can slightly slow down the planet’s rotation due to drag from the atmosphere, while earthquakes can have the opposite effect shortening days.

But what may explain the current temporary day shortening are wobbles in Earth’s axis due to the fact that Earth is not exactly a perfect sphere. Earth has a bulge at the equator and its poles are slightly squashed. Any spinning sphere-like object that is not entirely spherical will wobble in some way.

More at link.

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
It's shortest day ever since when? Since they had equipment capable of making such a measurement? Well alrighty, everyone buckle up because...

Online Kamaji

It's shortest day ever since when? Since they had equipment capable of making such a measurement? Well alrighty, everyone buckle up because...

Since record-keeping with high precision atomic clocks started.  So probably a few decades. 

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Wait a minute. If it's spinning faster, well, that means more friction with the atmosphere, right?

Friction=warming.

Humans are finally off the hook for that one.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Wait a minute. If it's spinning faster, well, that means more friction with the atmosphere, right?

Friction=warming.

Humans are finally off the hook for that one.

More friction from the atmosphere should slow the rotation.

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
More friction from the atmosphere should slow the rotation.
Yep, but if it is speeding up, that means more friction, and that yields heat.

As the atmosphere heats, it becomes less dense, which should reduce friction.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline DefiantMassRINO

Is Al Gore planning to slow down the Earth's rotation with giant bio-fueled retro-rockets?

Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit
I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.

"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Comrades, I swear on Trump's soul that I am not working from a CIA troll farm in Kiev.