Author Topic: Krugman: ‘Determination’ of People to Say It’s a Recession ‘Above and Beyond Anything I’ve Ever Seen  (Read 1266 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Krugman: ‘Determination’ of People to Say It’s a Recession ‘Above and Beyond Anything I’ve Ever Seen’

Trent Baker 31 Jul 2022

Economist and New York Times columnist Paul Krugman on Sunday pushed back against the notion that the United States was in a recession, despite back-to-back quarters of the U.S. economy contracting.

Krugman told CNN’s “Reliable Sources” that the United States was not in a recession in “any technical sense.”

Host Brian Stelter opened up by asking, “Are we in a recession, and does the term matter?”

“No, we aren’t, and no, it doesn’t,” Krugman replied.

“None of the usual criteria that real experts use says we’re in a recession right now,” he added. “What does matter? The state of the economy is what it is. Jobs are abundant, although maybe the job market is weakening. Inflation is high, though maybe inflation is coming down. What does it matter whether you use the ‘r-word’ or not?”

Krugman went on to say he had “never seen anything as bad” as the “determination of a lot of people to say it’s a recession.” He explained the reason behind referring to the state of the economy as a “Biden recession” was just “vitriolic” partisanship.

“I would say that this is especially vitriolic,” Krugman stated. “I’ve been in this business for a couple of decades, and I get lots of hate mail and see stuff. I’ve never seen anything as bad as this. The determination of a lot of people to say it’s a recession is above and beyond anything I’ve ever seen.”

“What do you think is driving that?” Stelter asked. “Just partisanship and polarization getting worse and worse every year?”

“It’s partisanship. People want it. It’s the Biden recession. They want their Biden recession. They’re going to have it, never mind the fact … it’s not a recession in any technical sense,” he responded.

more
https://www.breitbart.com/clips/2022/07/31/krugman-determination-of-people-to-say-its-a-recession-above-and-beyond-anything-ive-ever-seen/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline mountaineer

What an ass. Had we had two consecutive quarters of "contraction" 15 years ago, Krugman would have been squawking the loudest about recession.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Kamaji

:facepalm2:

Yes we are, and yes it does.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
Great, more recession deniers.

The definitions are settled.
The Republic is lost.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

A so-called economist loses all credibility when politics influence his opinions.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline cato potatoe

Does this genius understand the labor market is a lagging indicator?  Princeton, MIT ... really, this is what you get for $300k? 

He speaks as though a falling GDP happens in isolation.  There will be layoffs in the second half, and wages will continue to lag behind inflation.  By then, I suppose we'll have a positive GDP quarter, and he will pretend he said none of this.

Offline LMAO

What an ass. Had we had two consecutive quarters of "contraction" 15 years ago, Krugman would have been squawking the loudest about recession.

If we had  2 quarters of negative GDP under Trump, Krugman and his ilk would be embracing the definition of a recession

This is disturbing that we have a press that simply goes out and repeats the White House talking points as news. Not that it’s selling to the general public. But the fact that they’re willing to do it is scary
« Last Edit: August 01, 2022, 01:58:34 pm by LMAO »
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Offline LMAO

A so-called economist loses all credibility when politics influence his opinions.

Krugman has never been right about anything. I don’t know why they continue to put him on these shows as an authority on economics
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Paul Krugman 100% wrong 100% of the time!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline dfwgator

I predict eventually Twitter and YouTube will start banning people calling it a "Recession".

Offline Kamaji

If we had  2 quarters of negative GDP under Trump, Krugman and his ilk would be embracing the definition of a recession

This is disturbing that we have a press that simply goes out and repeats the White House talking points as news. Not that it’s selling to the general public. But the fact that they’re willing to do it is scary

It's very disturbing, but it's also become par for the course.

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
I predict eventually Twitter and YouTube will start banning people calling it a "Recession".

:yowsa: Very likely!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Kamaji

I believe that facebook has already started doing that.

Offline LMAO

Krugman is truly an idiot

There is no “determination” to call this a recession. Before the recent GDP report came out, the definition of a recession was clear. Only when it showed bad news for the Biden administration did the definition change

Barry Goldwater

Offline DefiantMassRINO

Krugman, I'll take an extra side of malaise with Biden's stagflation.
Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit
I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.

"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Comrades, I swear on Trump's soul that I am not working from a CIA troll farm in Kiev.

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
Remember when gaslighting used to be a seldom used tactic in political play.

Now it is used by the left 90% of the time justifying or defending their failed postions and policies.

Problem is, the left thinks Jedi mind tricks will consistently work.  Thankfully at least close to 40-50% of the public sees otherwise.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Krugman: ‘Determination’ of People to Say It’s a Recession ‘Above and Beyond Anything I’ve Ever Seen’

Said the blind man as he reached for his hammer and saw.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Does this genius understand the labor market is a lagging indicator?  Princeton, MIT ... really, this is what you get for $300k? 

The "Two Quarter Rule" is itself a lagging indicator as well.  It indicates a recession already in progress.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!

The dumbest most naive employee I ever had was from MIT. 

It was almost a joke, until she got the message and vacated.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.

"The Determination’ of the MSM to Say It ISN'T a Recession is Above and Beyond Anything I’ve Ever Seen."
Said Anyone trying to keep their heads above water in the US today
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.