Author Topic: HOLY COW: Beef prices set to surge further as farmers sell off cattle herds  (Read 1814 times)

Offline libertybele

• WE are NOT ok!
Deli feeeels like 7 bucks a pound to me... With inflation, 9 bucks is probably legit.

I just looked it up; Boar's Head Seasoned Turkey Pastrami (deli) at our Publix is $12.99/lb   Definitely pricey, and I avoid shopping there anymore because their prices are way too high.

Our little local Italian store is selling Thumann's turkey pastrami for $6.99/lb   So how does one justify charging people almost double??

« Last Edit: July 31, 2022, 12:56:11 am by libertybele »
I Believe in the United States of America as a Government of the people, by the people, for the people; whose just powers are derived from the consent of the governed; a democracy in a republic; a sovereign nation of many sovereign states; a perfect union one and inseparable; established upon those principles of freedom, equality, justice and humanity for which American patriots sacrificed their lives and fortunes.  I therefore believe it is my duty to my country to love it; to support its Constitution; to obey its laws to respect its flag; and to defend it against all enemies.

Offline roamer_1

I just looked it up; Boar's Head Seasoned Turkey Pastrami (deli) at our Publix is $12.99/lb   Definitely pricey, and I avoid shopping there anymore because their prices are way too high.

Our little local Italian store is selling Thumann's turkey pastrami for $6.99/lb   So how does one justify charging people almost double??

:shrug:

I dunno... All I know is that I found Turkey Pastrami when I started trying to go kosher. At the time, a replacement for bacon was an insurmountable obstacle... I mean, really... How do you replace bacon in a redneck (not to mention American) diet?

Anyway, turkey pastrami became a sturdy alternative. Not to say it tastes like bacon, but fry some up, you won't be sorry. Fry it and put it on a burger. You can thank me later... It's GOOD.

And it's cheap. Like I said, normal prices over the last five to seven years, deli runs about 7 bucks a pound... right in there, one way or the other... And turkey pastrami was always around five bucks a pound. So even just for sammiches... It became a staple here.

But to your question, around here, if deli was around 7 a pound, and is up to 9 a pound, then t.pastrami was 5 a pound up to 7 a pound would track... So it seems Publix is raping folks.  :shrug:
« Last Edit: July 31, 2022, 01:19:02 am by roamer_1 »

Offline libertybele

• WE are NOT ok!

:shrug:

I dunno... All I know is that I found Turkey Pastrami when I started trying to go kosher. At the time, a replacement for bacon was an insurmountable obstacle... I mean, really... How do you replace bacon in a redneck (not to mention American) diet?

Anyway, turkey pastrami became a sturdy alternative. Not to say it tastes like bacon, but fry some up, you won't be sorry. Fry it and put it on a burger. You can thank me later... It's GOOD.

And it's cheap. Like I said, normal prices over the last five to seven years, deli runs about 7 bucks a pound... right in there, one way or the other... And turkey pastrami was always around five bucks a pound. So even just for sammiches... It became a staple here.

But to your question, around here, if deli was around 7 a pound, and is up to 9 a pound, then t.pastrami was 5 a pound up to 7 a pound would track... So it seems Publix is raping folks:shrug:

That's the general consensus in my 'neighborhood forum'.  They should truly be ashamed.
I Believe in the United States of America as a Government of the people, by the people, for the people; whose just powers are derived from the consent of the governed; a democracy in a republic; a sovereign nation of many sovereign states; a perfect union one and inseparable; established upon those principles of freedom, equality, justice and humanity for which American patriots sacrificed their lives and fortunes.  I therefore believe it is my duty to my country to love it; to support its Constitution; to obey its laws to respect its flag; and to defend it against all enemies.