Author Topic: Welcome to Aotearoa? The Campaign to Decolonize New Zealand’s Name  (Read 814 times)

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
Parliamentary committee could recommend vote among lawmakers or referendum to adopt Māori name

A recent joint statement from the U.S. and New Zealand referred to Jacinda Ardern as prime minister of Aotearoa New Zealand.Photo: james gourley/Agence France-Presse/Getty Images
WELLINGTON, New Zealand—The first European contact with indigenous Māori ended with four sailors killed and a hasty retreat. But it led to an identity for this South Pacific country: Nieuw Zeeland in Dutch, or New Zealand when it later became part of the British Empire.

Now, some lawmakers want New Zealanders to drop a name that harks back to an era of colonization and adopt another—Aotearoa, a Māori word referring to the clouds that indigenous oral history says helped early Polynesian navigators make their way here.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/welcome-to-aotearoa-the-campaign-to-decolonize-new-zealands-name-11658914200?page=1
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Online Kamaji

Re: Welcome to Aotearoa? The Campaign to Decolonize New Zealand’s Name
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2022, 01:47:25 pm »
:facepalm2:

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2022, 02:16:38 pm »
Same kind of revisonist woke shit, that caused Mt. McKinley to become Denali. 

I enjoy seeing geography reflect progression in  history rather than needless meddling by woke factions. 

I mean geez....   27 of our 50 state names have roots in indiginous inhabitants words and names.   

And next ladies and gentlemen?  All these counties in the south named after Confederates?  This shit will not end.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2022, 02:31:12 pm by catfish1957 »
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2022, 04:32:19 pm »

Why not? Denali is an anagram of Denial
I enjoy seeing geography reflect progression in  history rather than needless meddling by woke factions. 

I mean geez....   27 of our 50 state names have roots in indiginous inhabitants words and names.   

And next ladies and gentlemen?  All these counties in the south named after Confederates?  This shit will not end.
It muddles history, by making who did what where harder to sort, and that is right down the Left's alley.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2022, 08:59:07 pm »
Now to really decolonize it, all the white people need to leave, including you Jacinda.
The Republic is lost.

Online Kamaji

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2022, 09:45:40 pm »
Now to really decolonize it, all the white people need to leave, including you Jacinda.

:thumbsup:

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2022, 10:41:27 pm »
Yep. They're already renaming every military installation named after Confederates. Heck, they're trying to dump the names of anyone who ever owned a slave, e.g., Washington, Jefferson, etc.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline goatprairie

« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2022, 02:12:08 am »

"Same kind of revisonist woke shit, that caused Mt. McKinley to become Denali."

I remember when Obama did that. He didn't do it unilaterally....it was requested by the state of Alaska and a number of Alaskan pols. It was opposed by a number of Ohio pols including John Boehner.
But it brings up an interesting point.....what gives the POTUS the authority to change the name of a national park, monument, or whatever simply because the people in a certain state want it renamed?
The Alaskans asked it to be changed back to its original name, Denali.
Do they have a point? New York state changed the name of Sing Sing prison to Ossining and then back to Sing Sing prison. Do the people of whatever state have the right to change the name of any city, geographical feature, or monument whenever they feel like it?
If so...look for many more name changes including name changes to places that have had the same name for hundreds of years. But the names will be of the woke variety. Maybe no more Washington D.C. We can't have a city named after a slave owner, can we? Malcolm X City here we come.