Author Topic: White House says despite sky-high prices, at least US not 'facing famine'  (Read 1275 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
July 26, 2022 6:30pm EDT
White House economic adviser says U.S. better off than countries ‘facing famine’
Brian Deese says, 'Two negative quarters of GDP growth is not the technical definition of recession'
By Jessica Chasmar | Fox News

White House economic adviser Brian Deese said Tuesday that while U.S. inflation is hurting Americans in their wallets, at least they’re not facing famine like some other countries.

During the White House press briefing, the National Economic Council director argued that the U.S. is not on the brink of a recession and that the state of the economy, which hit a whopping 9.1% inflation rate in June, could be a lot worse than it is currently.

"I think that our economy is more resilient to the types of challenges that we face," Deese said. "For example, with respect to food, we're a net exporter of agricultural commodities. And obviously, the high prices are hitting Americans very hard, but in a way that is different from some places that are facing famine, for example."

"But I think if you look at the core elements of economic resilience, the United States is better positioned," he added.

Deese said that despite projections by many experts, a recession is not inevitable, and he repeated the curious claim made by Treasury Secretary Janet Yellen on Sunday about the "common definition" of a recession.

Yellen argued that the "common definition" for a recession is two consecutive quarters of negative GDP, and while economists expect to see negative growth again this quarter after seeing -1.4% last quarter, she said that still wouldn’t mean the U.S. is in a recession.

more
https://www.foxnews.com/politics/white-house-economic-adviser-says-us-better-off-countries-facing-famine
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline cato potatoe

How long until big tech redefines "famine?"

Offline DB

That's not good.

Virtually everything they've claimed has turned out wrong.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
..but, no doubt, they are working on it.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline LMAO

Really? This is their  measurement of success?
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Offline Kamaji

Not yet, at any rate. 

Offline EdinVA

...at least they’re not facing famine...

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
With GND frontal attack on the farming industry?

These f'ers are in death wish mode.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline DefiantMassRINO

... that may change as the War Against Fertilizers ramps up.

America is not facing famine, yet.  Food affordability will become an issue before famine does.  Still, people will be malnourished, hungry, and starving, which brings me to ...

Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit

I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.
"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
'I'm sorry you got your face beat in with brass knuckles, but at least you didn't get shot.'
The Republic is lost.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

'I'm sorry you got your face beat in with brass knuckles, but at least you didn't get shot.'
Wait until this administration begins enforcing medical care in the same way.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline dfwgator

Offline SZonian

• Strike without warning
  • 415th Nightstalker
Keep lowering the "bar"...
Throwing our allegiances to political parties in the long run gave away our liberty.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
With 'fresh' nectarines at $5/lb at the local supermarket, who needs famine?

Just fall through the cracks between making six figures and the local food bank.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis