Author Topic: Northcom Commander: We Need Better Domain Awareness  (Read 168 times)

rebewranger

Northcom Commander: We Need Better Domain Awareness
« on: July 26, 2022, 02:25:13 pm »
Northcom Commander: We Need Better Domain Awareness
JULY 22, 2022 | BY C. TODD LOPEZ, DOD NEWS

The U.S. Northern Command is responsible for protecting the U.S. homeland. Domain awareness is a major part of defense, and it's in President Biden's 2023 budget request currently before Congress.

"What ... challenges us is the unknown," Air Force Gen. Glen D. VanHerck, the commander for U.S. Northern Command, said while speaking at the Aspen Security Conference in Colorado on Thursday. "What I mean by the unknown is domain awareness challenges. The first one I would tell you is undersea domain awareness. As competitors develop capabilities, the challenges of monitoring submarines in the future will only grow."

Domain awareness challenges also exist for hypersonic cruise missiles and cyber domain awareness as well, VanHerck said.

"The good news is we're working to fix this," he said. "And the department did a fantastic job in the budget this year — the president's budget for domain awareness," he said. "There's four over-the-horizon radars in the budget, so I look forward to that."

https://www.defense.gov/News/News-Stories/Article/Article/3102989/northcom-commander-we-need-better-domain-awareness/