Author Topic: Here’s what’s at stake if Russia doesn’t get a key European gas pipeline back up and running this we  (Read 353 times)

Offline libertybele

Here’s what’s at stake if Russia doesn’t get a key European gas pipeline back up and running this week

Investors will soon find out whether the world’s largest subsea pipeline, all 759 miles of it sitting under the Baltic Sea, will save Europe from a potentially devastating winter.

The so-called Nord Stream 1 pipeline, which normally transmits 55 billion cubic meters of natural gas a year from Russia to Germany, has been under planned repairs since July 11, and scheduled to be back up and running by Thursday.

Maybe.

The European Union has been scrambling to prepare countries for a cut off of Russian gas which could crush more dependent countries such as Germany which gets 35% of its gas from the pipeline. The EU governing body has been busy lowering expectations for a full restart on Thursday.

Faith Birol, the executive director of the International Energy Agency, echoed that sentiment on Monday. “In my view, it is much better to take steps now to prepare for winter than to leave the well-being of hundreds of millions of people and European economies at the mercy of the weather or, even worse, to give unnecessary extra leverage to President Vladimir Putin of Russia,” said Birol.
Pipeline deadline

Russian energy giant Gazprom RU:GAZP cut gas deliveries to Europe by 60% in June, citing technical problems from a turbine being repaired in Canada that was delayed by sanctions but has now reportedly been returned. In a move that alarmed some, Gazprom on Monday declared force majeure, meaning it claimed unforeseeable circumstances were preventing it from fulfilling its contract to deliver gas to some European customers.

The EU and Germany have accused Russia of using the pipeline and its energy trove as a tool to retaliate over sanctions imposed by the E.U. stemming from its late February invasion of Ukraine.

And while efforts are being made to stockpile gas ahead of the winter, southern Europe is also suffering an intense heat wave that is likely to push prices higher, say some. U.K. natural-gas prices surged Tuesday amid record temperatures.

“We think Putin is indeed weaponizing natural gas. We think Russia — which has already reduced supply on other pipelines—won’t restore full and regular flow through the Nord Stream 1 pipeline after July 21, though our best guess is that some limited and intermittent supply will resume,” said an Evercore team led by strategist Krishna Guha, in a July 11 note.

Guha says a small supply for Europe will probably partly balance Russia’s interests by weakening Europe sanctions and maximizing the region’s vulnerability to a cut-off headed into the winter when Moscow may push for a settlement on its own terms. .............

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/heres-whats-at-stake-if-russia-doesnt-get-a-key-european-gas-pipeline-back-up-and-running-this-week-11658238822?mod=home-page
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline DefiantMassRINO

Natural selection at work against the stupid politicians that decided to mistakenly make Europe overdependent upon one source of natural gas.

Develop natural gas in the North Sea, off Norway, off Ireland, and build a EU LNG infrastucture that allows Europe to further mutli-source natural gas.

There's also coal and nuclear for diversification away from Mephistopheles' methane, aka, Satan's flatulence.
Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit
I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.

"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Comrades, I swear on Trump's soul that I am not working from a CIA troll farm in Kiev.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis