Author Topic: Obama economic adviser on recession risks: ‘I’m not that much more worried than I am normally’  (Read 328 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
 Obama economic adviser on recession risks: ‘I’m not that much more worried than I am normally’
by Zach Schonfeld - 07/17/22 1:05 PM ET

Jason Furman, chair of the Council of Economic Advisers under former President Obama, said on Sunday that he thinks a recession is “certainly possible,” but he is not as pessimistic as some other economic forecasters.

“I’m not that much more worried than I am normally,” Furman told CBS “Face the Nation” moderator Margaret Brennan.

“But I don’t have any confidence in that, in part because the economic signals are really unclear in the first half of the year,” he said.

Annual inflation ending in June hit a nearly 41-year high of 9.1 percent, with oil prices helping drive the surge.

Many economists have been increasing their predictions of a recession in recent weeks as the Federal Reserve rapidly raises interest rates to cool demand and stem inflation, pointing to supply-side constraints on commodities like oil that have been further strained by Russia’s invasion of Ukraine.

Furman on Sunday noted that job growth has continued even after the Fed’s recent rate hikes.

He also pointed to a decline in consumer sentiment while strong spending continued simultaneously, although consumer spending did fall in May when adjusted for inflation.

“It’s hard to square a lot of these contradictory signals right now,” Furman said.

more
https://thehill.com/homenews/sunday-talk-shows/3563174-obama-economic-adviser-on-recession-risks-im-not-that-much-more-worried-than-i-am-normally/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Jason Furman:
“I’m not that much more worried than I am normally,”

So, then...
You are "normally worried" ...?

Cue up the Kingston Trio:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_yu1Y0_nGI