Author Topic: The Two Degree Temperature Target is Arbitrary and Untethered  (Read 651 times)

rebewranger

The Two Degree Temperature Target is Arbitrary and Untethered
A close look at the origins of the 2C target of the Paris Climate Agreement leads to a surprising conclusion

Roger Pielke Jr.
Jul 15

Pretty much everyone has heard of the 2 degree Celsius temperature target that sits at the center of international climate policy and shapes everything from climate science and assessment to policies and regulations. But very few know where it came from. Even fewer know that the nice round number – TWO – is completely arbitrary, and has become detached from its original scientific justification as scientific understandings have advanced.

If the 2C degree policy target (and its sibling, the 1.5C degree target) are breached in coming years and decades, as many expect, then the aims of international climate policy will have to revisited. This post initiates an on-going discussion here at The Honest Broker of how those policy targets might evolve by documenting the origins of the 2C temperature target and how it is today untethered from its original scientific basis. In this context, reconsidering targets for climate policy is not necessarily a bad thing. In fact, it may help to better focus climate policy on targets and timetables more appropriate for effective action on climate change.

https://rogerpielkejr.substack.com/p/the-two-degree-temperature-target?r=2n1fv&s=w&utm_campaign=post&utm_medium=web

Offline catfish1957

• FJB!!!!
  • Political Researcher
Re: The Two Degree Temperature Target is Arbitrary and Untethered
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2022, 03:31:03 pm »
Our only hope to beat this climate scam is that their actions create so much pain, there is a revolt, especially in industrialized countries.

Followup with world wide tribunals, and punish the perpetuaters of said  scam.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2022, 11:01:09 pm »
And the fact that no 3rd world country would adopt them.  What happened in Sri Lanka is a warning.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2022, 08:42:14 pm »
And the fact that no 3rd world country would adopt them.  What happened in Sri Lanka is a warning.

Yes, it is.  The revolts by the Dutch farmers should be another warning.

Online Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2022, 09:48:46 pm »
Kamaji observed:
"The revolts by the Dutch farmers should be another warning"

The Dutch farmers haven't gone "far enough" yet to cause a reversal of government policy.

Perhaps the Dutch government itself wlll need to be taken down -- and that means removing current administrators from their positions.

THEN you will see real changes in governmental policies.
Until that happens... it's all "for show".

Look what was necessary in Sri Lanka -- a "1/6" of their own, that actually... worked.

Offline catfish1957

• FJB!!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2022, 10:28:20 pm »
Yes, it is.  The revolts by the Dutch farmers should be another warning.

Sadly, I bet the Dutch government watched the Canadian Truckers, and will be using Fidel, Jr.'s playbook shortly.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.