Author Topic: Lawsuit against Skittles claims the candy is ‘unfit for human consumption’  (Read 2505 times)

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Today by  Liz Calvario 7/15/2022

Mars, Incorporated is being sued for its use of titanium dioxide (TiO2) in Skittles.

Mars, Incorporated is being sued by a consumer who claims that Skittles are “are unfit for human consumption.”

Consumer Jenile Thames filed the lawsuit in Oakland, California, on Thursday, claiming in court documents obtained by NBC News that the candy contains “heightened levels” of titanium dioxide (TiO2).

In a statement to TODAY, a Mars, Inc, spokesperson said, “While we do not comment on pending litigation, our use of titanium dioxide complies with FDA regulations.”

The lawsuit claims that the company “has long known of the health problems posed” by TiO2. It states that in February 2016, the company “committed to phasing out” the TiO2 in its product but has yet failed to do so.

More: https://www.today.com/food/news/skittles-unfit-human-consumption-new-lawsuit-claims-rcna38506

Offline Kamaji

California; go figure.

Online Hoodat

The lawsuit claims that the company “has long known of the health problems posed” by TiO2.

There are no health problems posed by TiO2.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.     -Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."     -Ayn Rand-

Offline The_Reader_David

On what basis does the plaintiff have standing?   Does Ms. Thames claim to have been personally harmed by consuming Skittles in a way that can be traced to the FDA-compliant levels of titanium dioxide they contain?
And when they behead your own people in the wars which are to come, then you will know what this was all about.

Offline mountaineer

Don't eat 'em, toots. Problem solved.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
Saint Travon of Skittles does not approve.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
Skittles were first produced in 1974, brought to the US in 1979, they are sold in sixty countries around the world, and 200 million Skittles are produced a day. In production for 48 years and 73,000,000,000 produced a year and yet I have never heard of a single death attributed to Skittles in all that time.

Offline libertybele

Saint Travon of Skittles does not approve.

Skittles are all the colors of the 'rainbow', so why the worries?  :whistle:

Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline libertasbella

• Libertas Bella: Liberty Is Beautiful
  • Libertas Bella: Liberty Is Beautiful
    • Libertas Bella
On what basis does the plaintiff have standing?   Does Ms. Thames claim to have been personally harmed by consuming Skittles in a way that can be traced to the FDA-compliant levels of titanium dioxide they contain?

So long as Skittles pays her to F off with her widely reported lawsuit, she doesn't need a good standing.
DeFi tutorials for noobs and normies. Merchandise for apes and chads who want to share the love with our libertarian clothing and 2nd Amendment shirts
"Liberty is beautiful" for all - only at Libertas Bella.

Offline The_Reader_David

So long as Skittles pays her to F off with her widely reported lawsuit, she doesn't need a good standing.

So you figure it's a speculation based on the assumption there is a no-zero chance the judge will not accept Mars, Inc.'s motion to dismiss based on lack of standing.
And when they behead your own people in the wars which are to come, then you will know what this was all about.

Online Hoodat

So you figure it's a speculation based on the assumption there is a no-zero chance the judge will not accept Mars, Inc.'s motion to dismiss based on lack of standing.

Seeing that Mars is not a publicly traded company, I believe there will be a bit more ego involved here fighting off this suit.

btw, I do agree with the plaintiff on one count:  Skittles aren't fit for human consumption.  Never understood why some people liked them.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.     -Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."     -Ayn Rand-

Offline roamer_1

Seeing that Mars is not a publicly traded company, I believe there will be a bit more ego involved here fighting off this suit.

btw, I do agree with the plaintiff on one count:  Skittles aren't fit for human consumption.  Never understood why some people liked them.

It might be argued that most of what is on store shelves is not fit for human consumption. Why single out Skittles?

Online Hoodat

It might be argued that most of what is on store shelves is not fit for human consumption.

For those who still use deer brains to tan hides, I see your point.

Offline roamer_1

For those who still use deer brains to tan hides, I see your point.

You tan your hides else-wise?  :pondering:

Offline Polly Ticks

My grandma used to use a razor strop to tan my hide. Does that count?
Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Offline Kamaji

This was filed in California court, so California standing law, not federal, applies.  California has much looser standing requirements, as per this article:  https://www.dailyjournal.com/mcle/374-the-exact-nature-of-california-s-standing-doctrine

Finally, the plaintiff does allege that he purchased the product and would not have done so if he had known that it included TiO2:

Per the lawsuit, Thames would not have purchased the Skittles if he had known it contained TiO2. He claims the ingredients on the candy are difficult to read due to the contrast in color between the font and packaging.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
If we get rid of Skittles, how are Millennials going to take pics of their multicolored #2 in the toilet and post them on Instagram?

Let's stop that travesty before it begins.
The Republic is lost.

Offline roamer_1

My grandma used to use a razor strop to tan my hide. Does that count?

HA!

:beer:

Offline heelboy22

They were unfit for human consumption (the green ones at least) until they brought the lime flavor back.

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor

October 27, 2016

https://www.centerforfoodsafety.org/press-releases/4550/top-candy-company-mars-commits-to-phasing-out-harmful-nanoparticles-from-food-products

Center for Food Safety urges fast action and broader commitment on removal

WASHINGTON— This week MARS Corp., maker of M&Ms and the top-selling candy company in the world, clarified and reiterated its commitment to remove harmful and potentially poisonous nanoparticles of titanium dioxide from its food products, including many popular candies. The clarification comes just in time for Halloween, when many unsuspecting consumers are treated to food additive “tricks” in candies and gums. In February, the company released a statement in which it committed to removing artificial colors from its food products over the next five years. But it was not clear at the time whether this included titanium dioxide, one of the most common chemicals used to engineer nanomaterials. Center for Food Safety pressed MARS on the issue and the company stated in an email that it is including titanium dioxide among the colorants it will remove from human food products.

The following is a statement from Jaydee Hanson, Senior Policy Analyst, Center for Food Safety:

“We are pleased to see that MARS has taken a positive step toward eliminating toxic, unnecessary nanomaterials from its line of food products. We urge the company to speed up the removal of these additives, especially given the grave health concerns associated with titanium dioxide and other nanoparticles.

“Studies have shown that the human health risks associated with ingesting nanoparticles of many common food additives far outweigh any utility for producers. There are plenty of non-toxic alternatives available and we urge MARS and others to commit to not using any engineered nanomaterials in human and animal food products.”

More at link.

Offline DefiantMassRINO

My neighbor just named her new puppy, Skittles.  Does this mean the ASPCA will take her puppy away and prosecute her for animal cruelty?
Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit
I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.

"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Comrades, I swear on Trump's soul that I am not working from a CIA troll farm in Kiev.

Offline Kamaji

Apparently the EU got its collective panties in a twist because they couldn't prove a negative - that under any and all conditions that TiO2 was "safe" (whatever that word means in EU-parlance) - and therefore they raised a sh*tstorm about banning it.

Offline verga

Diabetic coma just waiting to happen.
In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
�More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.�-Woody Allen
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken him completely by surprise.

Offline verga

In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
�More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.�-Woody Allen
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken him completely by surprise.

Online Hoodat

Here's how those California city folk do it.