Author Topic: On top of economic woes, Biden faces national rail strike  (Read 693 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
On top of economic woes, Biden faces national rail strike

By Susan Ferrechio - The Washington Times
Friday, July 15, 2022

President Biden faces a Monday deadline to forestall a freight train rail strike that could further aggravate the nation’s supply chain problems.

Railroads and union workers have been unable to reach an agreement on a new contract and the rail companies are now seeking intervention from the Biden administration, which is weighing the appointment of an arbitration board to recommend a settlement.

The unions and rail companies are at the end of a 30-day “cooling-off” period that ends Monday, and without presidential intervention, a strike could be imminent.

One of the 12 unions involved in the labor dispute, the Brotherhood of Locomotive Engineers and Trainmen, made up of more than 57,000 locomotive engineers, conductors and brakemen and firemen, voted Tuesday to authorize a strike, and other unions are likely to follow absent a deal.

Unions want better pay and health care benefits and a restructuring of work scheduling.

more
https://m.washingtontimes.com/news/2022/jul/15/joe-biden-faces-national-rail-strike-on-top-of-eco/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline DefiantMassRINO

Re: On top of economic woes, Biden faces national rail strike
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2022, 06:10:47 pm »
This may be compounded by backlogs, again, at US Ports, just in time for Back To School and the Holidays.

Many containers are shipped via intermodal transportaion - combination of rail and trucks.
Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit
I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.

"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Comrades, I swear on Trump's soul that I am not working from a CIA troll farm in Kiev.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2022, 06:34:54 pm »
Biden faces nothing, they welcome this with open arms.
The Republic is lost.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2022, 09:43:32 pm »

And it is no mere coincidence.  *****rollingeyes*****

Offline libertybele

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2022, 10:25:06 pm »

Exactly, just one more sector in their list of economic ruin to check off.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2022, 10:26:28 pm »
There was a time, up until about 25-20 years ago, when working on the big freight railroads was a good job. Not just a "good-paying" job, but a rewarding career.

That isn't the case any more, particularly with the new-fangled concept of "precision scheduled railroading" conceived by Hunter Harrison (on the Canadian lines), and then imported down here. The best thing Mr. Harrison ever did for the railroad worker is to die early. But unfortunately much of his legacy lives on.

PSR means fewer trains, longer trains, fewer crews, and more and MORE time away from home without relief for those crews that remain.

They might really go on strike this time.

BE AWARE that railroad unions are governed by The Railway Labor Act, which sets up a strict timetable and procedure to be followed when the opposing sides can't agree. It's not like most other labor union procedures.

Looks like there has already been a "Presidential Emergency Board" (an early step) and that both sides have rejected the recommendations, hence the "30 day cooling-off period". After that ends, if no agreement can be reached, the two parties can then do what they want (labor - strike; management - lockout).

I believe at that point the president can intervene by ordering the parties back to work, perhaps with the offer of binding arbitration. If the parties won't accept arbitration and still can't reach an agreement, I think at that point the Congress can impose a settlement.

From the standpoint of a worker (retired engineer), I'd say let it go to arbitration (although doing so usually results in an agreement that is considerably less than best, again from the workers' position).

The arbitration board will generally take the recommendations of the Presidential Emergency Board (that was earlier), and either go with them or modify them a little and hand the result back -- not "take it or leave it", but just, "take it".

Offline ironhorsedriver

« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2022, 11:37:22 am »
Fishrrman, where you around when PTC was introduced? That drove me to retirement the minute I could go.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2022, 12:08:46 am »
Ironhorse wrote:
"where you around when PTC was introduced? That drove me to retirement the minute I could go."

I was on passenger (Amtrak) from 1991 until I retired in 2012 (freight before that).

Amtrak had its own implementation of PTC, but not like on freight trains.
On Amtrak it was called "ACSES" (advanced civil speed enforcement system). It used cab signals along with a series of "transponders" on top of the ties to enforce speeds, restrictions, work areas, stop signals, etc.

But I never worked under that, either. They were using it between New Haven and Boston, but by then I had enough seniority to stay on the New Haven to NYC side, better work.

I worked [mostly] over Metro-North trackage, and they still used the old "cab signals and speed control" on their equipment, so the Amtrak engines worked with that, too. That goes 'way back to the Pennsylvania/Penn Central days.

Back in my freight days, I worked a lot of territory that didn't even have cab signals (former Erie RR) or just "dark territory" (back in the train orders days). Or territory like the old Central Vermont, which was dark and used the Canadian rule book.

Anything that "takes away" control of the brakes (and power) on a large freight train would look to make smooth control a nightmare. I assume that's what PTC can do. Glad I never had anything to do with it!