Author Topic: Larry Kudlow: We're on the front end of recession  (Read 267 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Larry Kudlow: We're on the front end of recession
« on: July 13, 2022, 02:05:20 pm »
Updated on 16 hours ago
Kudlow reacts to prices rising across the board

By Larry Kudlow FOXBusiness

So many people, I suspect, agree with Biden press secretary Karine Jean-Pierre, who seems to expect that inflation has peaked, and it's on the way down and our troubles are virtually over.

KARINE JEAN-PIERRE: We expect the headline number, which includes gas and food, to be highly elevated, mainly because gas prices were so elevated in June. June CPI data is already out-of-date because energy prices have come down substantially this month and are expected to fall further.

If you think that way, I beg to differ. While it's quite true oil, gasoline and food prices are the most visible price spikes, the fact remains that prices are rising across the board — not just food and energy — and this across-the-board price hike may well be getting worse, not easier.

A useful chart from my old friend and colleague Robert Sinche shows that broad inflation measures called "trimmed-mean CPIs" from the Cleveland and Dallas Fed are actually increasing, not decreasing. 

These trimmed-mean measures exclude the largest and smallest price changes, in effect measuring the middle 80% of price change movement. So, they're actually broader than just food and energy. You can see that they've been rising steeply. Dallas is going from less than 2% to 4% and Cleveland is shooting all the way up 7%. 

So, let that be a warning that the current inflation cycle is broad, widespread and likely accelerating.

Also, many people are talking about the recent slump in commodity prices, which do filter into the wholesale price index and also signal inflation expectations and the real value of the dollar. True enough, the dollar has gone up and commodities have slowed down, but the commodity index slowdown really looks like a dip, not a major drop.

more
https://www.foxbusiness.com/media/larry-kudlow-front-end-recession
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Re: Larry Kudlow: We're on the front end of recession
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2022, 02:12:16 pm »

:yowsa: And a severe one at that!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien