Author Topic: If we don’t fix homelessness, more New Yorkers will abandon the city  (Read 596 times)

Offline Kamaji

If we don’t fix homelessness, more New Yorkers will abandon the city

By Brian Robinson
July 9, 2022

Last July, a homeless person followed my wife and 4-year-old daughter inside my building in lower Tribeca and up to our apartment door. Though I turned up just moments later and scared him away, the episode left us shaken.

A few weeks later, I saw the same man leaving a nearby homeless shelter. I’ve lived here for 15 years and always felt safe, but suddenly, like many others, I felt disconcerted and weirdly abandoned by this city which has enabled crime and fear to proliferate, partly driven by an out-of-control homeless population housed by shelters in our neighborhoods.

My feelings gave way to a sense of purpose. I decided it was time to sell my business, Churchill Credit Solutions in the Financial District, and run for office as a Democrat serving New York’s 10th Congressional District. No longer do I wish to remain a passive observer to our city’s dysfunction.

Every day, urban disorder is unfolding before our eyes. Between the decarceration movement and bail reform, we are seeing far more violent incidents on our streets. From the death of Michelle Go in front of a Times Square subway train in January to the brutal stabbing of Christina Yuna Lee inside her own Chinatown apartment in February, assaults committed by mentally-ill homeless people are now a common occurrence.

Source:  https://nypost.com/2022/07/09/if-we-dont-fix-nyc-homelessness-more-nyers-will-abandon-the-city/

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
"Escape from New York"...

(while you still can...)

Online libertybele

Homelessness has hit our city as well. I would venture to say that there are few areas in the country where there aren't homeless people.  It is truly very sad and certainly something that I never imagined would happen in this area.

Let's Go Brandon!!!!  (We do have some idiots from up north that still don't believe it's Joe's fault -- Putin is the culprit, don't ya know). 
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.