Author Topic: House wants troops to chow down bison meat bought from native tribes  (Read 371 times)

rebewranger

House wants troops to chow down bison meat bought from native tribes
By Jonathan Lehrfeld, Military Times
July 8, 2022 9:55am  Updated

Want a hot bison sandwich on rye? The uncommon food product may soon be on the table for troops as Congress has proposed in its annual defense bill the Department of Defense purchase bison meat from native tribes and organizations.

House lawmakers passed their $840 billion version of the National Defense Authorization Act out of committee on June 23, incorporating a series of amendments that included, among others, a procurement measure for bison meat. The final annual defense bill must still be passed by the full House, and later agreed to by the Senate, which earlier in June passed its own version out of committee.

If passed, the Pentagon will begin “increasing procurement of bison meat…with the goal of procuring two million pounds of bison meat annually to promote bison as a healthy and sustainable food source and further treaty and trust responsibilities and Native American agriculture,” according to the amendment text.

https://nypost.com/2022/07/08/house-wants-troops-to-chow-down-bison-meat-bought-from-native-tribes/

Offline Kamaji

Re: House wants troops to chow down bison meat bought from native tribes
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2022, 02:54:32 pm »
Aren't bison considered an endangered species?

Online roamer_1

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2022, 02:57:49 pm »

Wild bison may be endangered. Bison ranches abound.

Offline The_Reader_David

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2022, 02:59:30 pm »

No.  They had been, a long time ago, but no longer.  The ones sold for meat are farm raised and there are stable wild herds in several states.  We can buy ground bison at our local Dillons (as Kroger supermarkets are called in Kansas).
And when they behead your own people in the wars which are to come, then you will know what this was all about.

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2022, 03:09:57 pm »
If they can get it for less than ground beef, great. Where I live, bison is at least $2 more per pound.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2022, 03:13:32 pm »
Wild bison may be endangered. Bison ranches abound.

No.  They had been, a long time ago, but no longer.  The ones sold for meat are farm raised and there are stable wild herds in several states.  We can buy ground bison at our local Dillons (as Kroger supermarkets are called in Kansas).

@roamer_1 , @The_Reader_David

Thank you all!  I stand corrected!

Offline DefiantMassRINO

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2022, 03:18:16 pm »
Smells like pork.

Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit
I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.

"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Comrades, I swear on Trump's soul that I am not working from a CIA troll farm in Kiev.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2022, 03:19:05 pm »

Wild bison are still treated as endangered, though in the last decade or two, there are arranged 'special hunts', the tags made available by draw, to help control bison populations outside of protected areas (outside of Yellowstone park being an instance). Those Yellowstone tags, last I looked, were limited to five or ten animals a year.