Author Topic: PA Town Threatens Churches With $500 Fines for Providing Free Meals, Counseling Services  (Read 1844 times)

Offline Kamaji

Pennsylvania Town Threatens Churches With $500 Fines for Providing Free Meals, Counseling Services

Borough officials in Pottstown, Pennsylvania, told Mission First and Christ Episcopal churches that their charitable work goes beyond what the zoning code allows for downtown churches.

CHRISTIAN BRITSCHGI

Two Philadelphia-area churches have come under fire from local zoning officials, who say their free meal services, mental health counseling, and monthly pantries aren't allowed on their properties and will have to stop or else they risk fines.

In early June, Pottstown staff sent letters to Christ Episcopal Church and Mission First, saying that this charitable work went beyond the allowable activities for churches in the borough's Downtown zoning district.

"I am writing this letter with compassion for those affected by the COVID pandemic and with gratitude to residents who've provided aid to those in need throughout that period," wrote Pottstown Zoning Officer Winter Stokes in a letter to one of the churches obtained by WHYY, which first reported the story. "However, as the Zoning Officer, I must enforce the zoning code."

Stokes' letters specifically lists regular provision of mental health counseling to families, weekly buffet meals, and the distribution of soap, razors, toothbrushes, and other essential items as disallowed uses.

The two churches can either apply for a zoning variance—which requires going before the borough's Zoning Hearing Board—or stop the disallowed charitable work. Failure to do either of those things could result in the churches being hit with $500 fines for every day they're out of compliance.

"It was an absolute surprise when we got this letter," says Dennis Coleman, the deacon of Christ Episcopal Church. He says that his church has been providing meals and an "essentials" pantry for years without incident.

"We've been doing the one meal a week for as long as anyone can remember," which typically feeds about 60 people, Coleman says. The church also runs a "Last Week of the Month" program that provides people with food, essential items, or even assistance in paying gas and electric bills.

Source:  https://reason.com/2022/07/07/pennsylvania-town-threatens-churches-with-500-fines-for-providing-free-meals-counseling-services/

Offline Hoodat

Let me guess.  Democrats?
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline PeteS in CA

Let me guess.  Democrats?

Named "Karen" and "Kyle".
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
First code enforcement then next it's, what you're serving buffet meals, do you have a permit, no? Health inspection and case and desist order.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.

Matt 25:40-43
40 And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me.

41 Then shall he say also unto them on the left hand, Depart from me, ye cursed, into everlasting fire, prepared for the devil and his angels:

42 For I was an hungred, and ye gave me no meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me no drink:

43 I was a stranger, and ye took me not in: naked, and ye clothed me not: sick, and in prison, and ye visited me not.

Kinda fits with my opinion of some code enforcement people anyway.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
I just don't see how they can get away with this unless they can show legimitate "cause"
that actual crimes are being committed.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline Hoodat

I just don't see how they can get away with this unless they can show legimitate "cause"
that actual crimes are being committed.

Clearly, you don't understand how 'fascism' works.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline mountaineer

Too close to Philly. Apart from Pittsburgh and Philadelphia, Pennsylvania is a fairly conservative and freedom-loving state.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Clearly, you don't understand how 'fascism' works.

@Hoodat

Well,I clearly don't understand how fascism is related to this news release.

Who are the fascists,the towns people or the churches?

Or is it both?

Offline Hoodat

Typically, the fascists are the ones doing the fining and jailing.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Offline PeteS in CA

Proper food handling isn't trivial, but it isn't rocket science. The churches were probably doing that part OK, as they were hit with zoning ordinances rather than health code violations:

"I am writing this letter with compassion for those affected by the COVID pandemic and with gratitude to residents who've provided aid to those in need throughout that period," wrote Pottstown Zoning Officer Winter Stokes in a letter to one of the churches obtained by WHYY, which first reported the story. "However, as the Zoning Officer, I must enforce the zoning code."

Stokes' letters specifically lists regular provision of mental health counseling to families, weekly buffet meals, and the distribution of soap, razors, toothbrushes, and other essential items as disallowed uses.

While on the surface it might seem that this is a valid angle of attack, the churches' response could be that the zoning ordinance violates the Federal Religious Land Use and Institutionalized Persons Act, which prevents zoning and other ordinances from impinging on or burdening churches' Free Exercise rights. The churches would, of course, have to prevent excessive traffic congestion.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2022, 02:52:51 pm by PeteS in CA »
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
Prior to the welfare state being first imposed in the '60', for 100's of years churches WERE the safety net for meals and counseling.

The irony is incredible.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Prior to the welfare state being first imposed in the '60', for 100's of years churches WERE the safety net for meals and counseling.

The irony is incredible.

@catfish1957

Let's not forget the alleged "Salvation Army". They may be buttholes who CHARGE you for your meals by forcing you to pray for them,but they still provide people with warm meals and sometimes a safe place to sleep for a night or two.

Might not sound like much for the price you pay in pride,but it's "something" if you have nothing.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2022, 03:27:30 pm by sneakypete »