Author Topic: How Mitch McConnell's risky decision shaped SCOTUS and led to the end of abortion landmark Roe  (Read 344 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Published June 29, 2022 8:10am EDT
How Mitch McConnell playing 'long game' shaped the Supreme Court and led to the end of abortion landmark Roe
McConnell played key role in moving Trump Supreme Court nominees through Senate

By Tyler Olson | Fox News

The Dobbs v. Jackson Women's Health decision which overturned Roe v. Wade was made inside the marble halls of the United States Supreme Court. However, it might not have been possible without a decision made years ago on the Caribbean island of St. Thomas, located about 30 miles east of Puerto Rico.

On Feb. 13, 2016, then-Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell, R-Ky., stepped off a plane ready to enjoy a tropical vacation when he learned Justice Antonin Scalia died, according to his memoir, "The Long Game." With his members scattered all over the world and a GOP presidential debate the same night, McConnell promptly drafted a statement declaring that the next president would fill Scalia's seat, not then-President Barack Obama.

It was a risky move, made without the benefit of consulting his conference; however, it began a series of events resulting in former President Donald Trump appointing three justices in just four years – and led to what will long be considered a landmark decision in the history of the court.

"I think it's the most consequential contribution I've been able to make to my country in the course of my career," McConnell told Fox News Digital regarding his focus on the federal judiciary in the Senate, not just in the Supreme Court or Dobbs. The Supreme Court in recent days also released major decisions hailed by conservatives on gun rights and religious freedom in schools.

more
https://www.foxnews.com/politics/mitch-mcconnell-dark-lord-shaped-supreme-court-led-end-abortion-landmark-roe

Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
Hope he didn't break his arm patting himself on the back.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline Kamaji

Hope he didn't break his arm patting himself on the back.

Would you rather have Merrick Garland on the Supreme Court?

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
Would you rather have Merrick Garland on the Supreme Court?

I'd rather have Mitch STFU.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.