Author Topic: The ‘ESG’ Scam Rates Slave-Using Chinese Firms Higher Than Clean American Energy Producers  (Read 298 times)

Offline Kamaji

The ‘ESG’ Scam Rates Slave-Using Chinese Firms Higher Than Clean American Energy Producers

A firm in China that uses slave labor has a better ESG score than an American firm that pays landowners who freely sell their mineral rights.

BY: CHUCK DEVORE
JUNE 28, 2022

Expecting publicly traded companies to do more than simply return shareholder value — their fiduciary responsibility — is a fairly new development in Western capitalism. The idea that corporate leadership and shareholders should explicitly care about environmental, social, and corporate governance (known as ESG) issues beyond how they might affect the bottom line has been around for only about 30 years.

But now, ESG investing has become a big driver in steering capital to corporations deemed to be good stewards of subjective principles. By 2025, financial management firms that claim to invest with ESG principles are projected to account for $50 trillion of a total global value of $140.5 trillion — more than a third of managed investments.

But is ESG investing trustworthy? Does it really do what it claims to do?

MSCI is one of the world’s largest investment support services firms, with $2.1 billion in revenue. It offers an ESG rating service. I noticed that my Charles Schwab account recently started to display MSCI’s ESG ratings alongside that of the more traditional ratings services — services focused on a company’s profitability.

Comparing U.S. and Chinese Companies’ Ratings
Curious, I looked into the rating of a firm I own some stock in: Texas-based Brigham Minerals (NYSE: MNRL). Brigham looks for land that could produce oil and gas, and owns mineral and royalty interests in 7,909 oil wells and 688 natural gas wells in West Texas, New Mexico, Oklahoma, Colorado, Wyoming, and North Dakota. MSCI rates Brigham Minerals as a B, the sixth lowest of seven ratings that range from AAA to CCC, labeling it a “laggard” in the industry with an overall score of 2 out of 10.

I previously wrote about ESG investing’s blind spot for China three years ago in Fox Business, pointing out that investment firms playing in the ESG space were also bullish on China — a nation with terrible air and water pollution (the “E”), horrendous human rights abuses (the “S”), rampant corruption, opaque accounting standards, and rule of law only at the forbearance of the Chinese Communist Party (the “G”).

Not expecting the financial industry to have changed for the better, I looked up three China-based energy companies and compared them to Brigham Minerals. They were Xinyi Solar Holdings (OTC: XISHY), China Resources Gas Group (OTC: CGASY), and China Coal Energy Company (OTC: CCOZF). All three beat the American energy company in their overall rating.

Source:  https://thefederalist.com/2022/06/28/the-esg-scam-rates-slave-using-chinese-firms-higher-than-clean-american-energy-producers/

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
"ESG" is nothing more than an attack on our capitalist economic system, in exactly the same way that "CRT" is an attack on our race and culture...

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

It is a far deeper scam than just robbing energy companies of the means to grow or stay in business.

It deliberately forces investors to obtain less return for their money in investments, as ESG has been not permitting investments into the very best returns on the money of anything the stock market has at this point
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington