Author Topic: Do Average Americans Even Care About the Intent of Our Founding Document?  (Read 461 times)

Offline Kamaji

Do Average Americans Even Care About the Intent of Our Founding Document?

By Mike Miller
Jun 27, 2022

The Constitution of the United States of America was written in 1787, ratified in 1788, and has been in effect since 1789, making it the world’s longest surviving written governmental charter.

Now, 235 years later, one wonders if “everyday” Americans even care about what the Constitution says and stands for, or are they more blindly and selfishly concerned about what they personally believe and want?

At best, I have my doubts. At worst? Hell no, they don’t. One need look no further than the two continuing white-hot issues gripping America as we speak for ample proof: the Supreme Court’s overturn of Roe v. Wade and the Court’s Bruen decision, which struck down New York’s restrictive concealed-carry law.

In both cases, ignorance of (and disdain for) the law, relevant facts, and the intent of the Constitution have given way to meritless protests — many of them vile, violent, or both — aggressively protesting outside the homes of Associate Justices who voted in the majority on Roe, and imprudent calls by liberal elites for the dissolution of the Constitution altogether. In short, chaos reigns in place of rational thought, common decency, morality, and respect for a founding document that was written and adopted in part to protect us from the kind of craziness we now see on a daily basis. Ominously, it’s going to get worse.

Sophistry, derived from the ancient Greek sophistēs, is the practice of employing what appears to be sound reasoning in the defense of a conclusion that is inherently false or subjective by nature.

Today, sophistry connotes the eager willingness to utilize any argument to prove a point, mixing opinions with facts — often claiming the former to be the latter, — exposing one’s deep, often bitter, beliefs and convictions, as if you [third-person] and they [convictions] are the final arbiters of right and wrong. Sophistry, including constitutional sophistry, and political sophistry, is practiced by liberal elitists across America, from the halls of Congress to the no-longer-hallowed halls of academia, to corporate board rooms, “news” outlets, and, of course, the cesspool we call “social media.”

Source:  https://redstate.com/mike_miller/2022/06/27/do-average-americans-even-care-about-the-intent-of-our-founding-document-n584997

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Do Average Americans Even Care About the Intent of Our Founding Document?

If they are under age 50 and attended public "school", the answer is no but only because they know literally nothing about it.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline SZonian

• Strike without warning
  • 415th Nightstalker
If they are under age 50 and attended public "school", the answer is no but only because they know literally nothing about it.
:thumbsup:
Throwing our allegiances to political parties in the long run gave away our liberty.

Offline andy58-in-nh

pointing-up

BINGO.
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
In San Francisco, probably not.

In the interior Red states, yes.

We are two countries now.
The Republic is lost.

Offline goatprairie

For years I have advocated teaching the basics of the U.S. constitution in high school along with a course on economics and free market capitalism.
I would guess that a very large percentage of graduating high school students have next to zero knowledge of the constitution and why America ended up being the greatest, wealthiest country in world history.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Question:
"Do Average Americans Even Care About the Intent of Our Founding Document?"

My reckoning is that most of them... do not.

Edit:
Vulcan's above comment about "two countries now" is dead-on.

And having said that, once again I'll ask:
Is it time for that New Continental Congress yet...?
« Last Edit: June 27, 2022, 11:01:06 pm by Fishrrman »

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Question:
"Do Average Americans Even Care About the Intent of Our Founding Document?"

My reckoning is that most of them... do not.

Edit:
Vulcan's above comment about "two countries now" is dead-on.

And having said that, once again I'll ask:
Is it time for that New Continental Congress yet...?
Writing up a new Constitution (actually, a bit hard to improve on the old one, as intended) doesn't mean that will be followed, either.
We need to follow the Constitution we have, as in original intent.
People who won't follow that won't follow anything else--anymore than criminals are stopped by more gun laws.
The solution is not new laws, it is following the ones we have, starting with the Constitution and throwing out volumes of Federal laws and regulations along with the agencies that promulgated them.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis