Author Topic: NASA wants to put nuclear reactor on the moon, hopes to support lunar life  (Read 535 times)

Offline Kamaji

NASA wants to put nuclear reactor on the moon, hopes to support lunar life

By Heather Brinkmann, FOX Weather
June 26, 2022

NASA is one step closer to finalizing nuclear power some 238,900 miles away from Earth.

The space agency and the US Department of Energy have selected three design concept proposals for a fission surface power system that would be stationed on the moon.

The hope is that a nuclear reactor would produce the power needed to operate rovers, conduct experiments and help support life.

Scientists say that the concepts for the technology will benefit future exploration under the Artemis umbrella and will be ready to launch by the end of the decade.

The contracts fund the development of initial design concepts for a 40-kilowatt class fission power system planned to last at least 10 years in the lunar environment and valued at approximately $5 million each, NASA says. Forty kilowatts of power is enough to run 30 households for ten years continuously.

The Department of Energy’s Idaho National Laboratory will award 12-month contracts to the following companies to each develop preliminary designs:

Source:  https://nypost.com/2022/06/26/nasa-wants-to-put-nuclear-reactor-on-the-moon/

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
I don't get it. No atmosphere, no wind. I get that.

But why not solar? Not a cloud in the sky!
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Kamaji

I don't get it. No atmosphere, no wind. I get that.

But why not solar? Not a cloud in the sky!

Reliability perhaps?  And no downtime when the Sun goes down?