Author Topic: $8.1B in student loan relief has been approved under revamped program: Do you qualify?  (Read 699 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
 $8.1B in student loan relief has been approved under revamped program: Do you qualify?
by Addy Bink, Nexstar Media Wire - 06/26/22 11:51 AM ET

(NEXSTAR) – Roughly 145,000 federal student loan borrowers have received $8.1 billion in relief thanks to changes to a federal loan forgiveness program, the latest data from the Education Department shows.

The Wall Street Journal reports that $8.1 billion in debt relief has been approved since October when the Education Department rolled out a number of changes to the Public Service Loan Forgiveness program.

The Public Service Loan Forgiveness program, or PSLF, was created in 2007 with the intention of helping employees with nonprofit and government agencies have their student loans forgiven after ten years of payments (120 total payments). The overall approval rate among applicants has been low – just 1 in 5 of the 1.3 million borrowers pursuing debt discharge through PSLF were on track to see relief by 2026, according to a September 2021 report from The Washington Post.

In 2021, the U.S. Department of Education announced a change that temporarily waives specific PSLF requirements to grant borrowers credit toward loan cancellation regardless of their federal loan type or if they had been enrolled in a specific payment plan. This waiver is currently set to expire after October 31, 2022.

A recent report from the Student Borrower Protection Center found over nine million public service workers likely qualify for debt cancellation through the PSLF program, but have yet to file the paperwork to start the process. California, Texas, Florida, and New York have the most public service workers with student loan debt, according to SBPC.
PSLF qualifications

As explained above, PSLF is intended to give eligible public service employees debt forgiveness after a set number of payments are made.

Eligible borrowers must:

Be employed by a U.S. federal, state, local, or tribal government or not-for-profit organization (federal service includes U.S. military service)
    Work full-time for that agency or organization
    Have Direct Loans (or consolidate other federal student loans into a Direct Loan)
    Make 120 qualifying payments

Under the current PSLF waiver, eligible borrowers can receive credit for payments made on other loan types, under any payment plan, before consolidation, or after the due date. Those who received Teacher Loan Forgiveness can apply the period of service that led to their eligibility toward PSLF, if they can certify PSLF employment for that period.

more
https://thehill.com/homenews/nexstar_media_wire/3537431-8-1b-in-student-loan-relief-has-been-approved-under-revamped-program-do-you-qualify/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
"public service workers"....

The code enforcement officer out measuring to see if your grass is 1/2 inch too tall qualifies.

You, hardworking (private sector) citizen, do not.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Kamaji

"public service workers"....

The code enforcement officer out measuring to see if your grass is 1/2 inch too tall qualifies.

You, hardworking (private sector) citizen, do not.

That same code enforcer who is probably union, and who gets platinum-plated current and retirement benefits. 

Offline mountaineer

Can we make it retroactive? I had to borrow something over $6,000 for law school, after which I worked for both county and state government. Then I paid off the student loan several years before its due date, by which time - thanks to compounded interest - it was closer to $9,000.

I'll accept a check or direct deposit. Thanks in advance, Joe.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline heelboy22

NO, I DON'T qualify because I've ALREADY paid off my Student Loan! *****rollingeyes*****

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
I stupidly payed off my $3000 worth of Student Loans decades ago, so nothing for this taxpayer other than a hole in my wallet.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed: