Author Topic: This Washington Dem Blasted Federal Gas Tax Holidays—Until She Was Up for Reelection  (Read 549 times)

rebewranger

This Washington Dem Blasted Federal Gas Tax Holidays—Until She Was Up for Reelection
Senator Patty Murray called a gas tax suspension a 'bad idea.' Now, she's on board.

Collin Anderson • June 23, 2022 3:15 pm

During a non-election year, Washington Democratic senator Patty Murray called a federal gas tax holiday a "bad idea" that may not lower prices at the pump. Now that she's up for reelection, she's on board with the plan.

Murray—who is expected to face Republican triage nurse Tiffany Smiley in November—quietly signed on to Senate Democrats' gas tax suspension bill in late April, more than two months after it was introduced. But in 2008, when Murray was not embroiled in a reelection fight, the Democrat called the policy a "bad idea" that would "deteriorate highway funding."

"She has a firsthand look at what's going on with our transportation systems, our roads and our bridges, and from her perspective, this is a bad idea," then-Murray spokeswoman Alex Glass told the Seattle Post-Intelligencer at the time. "There's no guarantee that the plan would result in lower gas prices, but it would deteriorate highway funding."

Murray is far from the only prominent Democrat to express past disapproval toward a gas tax suspension, which President Joe Biden says would "bring down the price of gas and give families just a little bit of relief." In 2008, then-senator Barack Obama—Biden's self-described "best friend"—called the move a politically motivated "gimmick." Many congressional Democrats agree. Oregon congressman Peter DeFazio, for example, said a gas tax holiday would not "give consumers significant relief—if any at all" and would instead "blow a $26 billion hole in the highway trust fund" and kill "tens of thousands of jobs."

https://freebeacon.com/democrats/this-washington-dem-blasted-federal-gas-tax-holidays-until-she-was-up-for-reelection/
« Last Edit: June 24, 2022, 05:51:16 pm by rangerrebew »

Offline Hoodat

Patty Murray couldn't spell C-A-T even if you spotted her the C and the A.  She is the dumbest person to ever hold a Senate seat.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Online GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
Patty Murray couldn't spell C-A-T even if you spotted her the C and the A.  She is the dumbest person to ever hold a Senate seat.
I take umbrage at your assertion! In rebuttal I give you Maxine Waters.

Offline Kamaji

Point, set, match. 

Offline Killer Clouds

Out of bounds! Waters was never a senator.

Offline Killer Clouds

Offline Hoodat

Good call, Ref.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Hoodat

Murray is dumber than Waters.  Just not as foolish.  Murray knows her limits and thus rarely speaks in public, while Waters has no inhibitions when it comes to showing the world what a fool she is.  Same goes for that cow from Houston.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Online GtHawk

A politician is a politician is a politician, and Mad Max has a lot more to with how our taxes are wasted.

Online GtHawk

Murray is dumber than Waters.  Just not as foolish.  Murray knows her limits and thus rarely speaks in public, while Waters has no inhibitions when it comes to showing the world what a fool she is.  Same goes for that cow from Houston.
A fool who doesn't know to keep her mouth shut is stupider than a fool who does, whether a senator or congresscritter.

Offline Killer Clouds

A politician is a politician is a politician, and Mad Max has a lot more to with how our taxes are wasted.
Don't get your panties in a twist. It was a joke because you were wrong. If you want to get down to just politicians POTUS and Veep are easily the dumbest government employees.

Offline christian

• I need to be in love, K.c. R.C.
President Joe Biden says would "bring down the price of gas and give families just a little bit of relief

Joe for once said it well, after the massive damage Biden has done and continues to do, Joes intentions are just to give Americans; JUST A LITTLE BIT OF RELIEF!
Card carrying member of the national F-Joe Biden movement, and his minions