Author Topic: NYC destroys nearly 100 ‘destructive’ and ‘dangerous’ dirt bikes  (Read 1135 times)

Offline Kamaji

NYC destroys nearly 100 ‘destructive’ and ‘dangerous’ dirt bikes

By Jorge Fitz-Gibbon
June 21, 2022

City officials crushed nearly 100 dirt bikes Tuesday, with Mayor Eric Adams saying he’s determined to eradicate the menacing vehicles from local streets.

In all, 92 of the illegal rides were pulverized under a bulldozer at the Erie Basin Auto Pound off Gowanus Bay in Brooklyn — as Adams vowed to continue City Hall’s war on the unauthorized recreational machines.

The bikes are not street-legal in the city.

“The NYPD heard the call, and they did a Herculean task to get rid of these loud, intimidating and dangerous and illegal dirt bikes and ATVs that are on our streets,” the mayor said at a press conference. “For years, we’ve witnessed what happens when they go under control or we do not enforce. They continue to grow over and over and over again.

“And I’m not going to give up on my promise and commitments to rid our streets of these bikes and make all of our boroughs a place where people can move about,” he said. “As you can see from the number of bikes here today, we are making good on our promise.”

Source:  https://nypost.com/2022/06/21/nyc-destroys-92-dangerous-dirt-bikes/

Offline Kamaji

That's nice.  Now how about getting the destructive and dangerous criminals off the streets?

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
NYC bulldozer crushes illegal motorbikes at impound lot in Brooklyn

FOX 5 New York

With a wave of a checkered racing flag, New York City Mayor Eric Adams signaled to a waiting Department of Sanitation bulldozer driver to hit the ignition, release the brakes, step on the gas, and carry out a mission to make an example of dozens of street-illegal motorbikes by crushing them without mercy into scrap metal.

"This is a lot of drama," the mayor said before swinging the black-and-white flag back and forth at an NYPD auto pound in the Red Hook section of Brooklyn on Tuesday.

The bulldozer then revved, spewed black exhaust, and proceeded to roll over nearly 100 unregistered dirt bikes, ATVs, and minibikes with the either satisfying or painful — depending on one's perspective — sound of crumpling metal.

Police Commissioner Keechant Sewell said the NYPD continues to seize illegal bikes in the name of public safety and order.

"The use of these vehicles puts all New Yorkers at risk — other drivers, passengers, pedestrians, and also those operating the illegal bikes themselves," Sewell said. "It is the New Yorkers who live and work in our communities — and who must endure these hazards — who are telling us loud and clear: Get these motorbikes out of our neighborhood.' The NYPD got the message, and that's exactly what we're doing."

Since the start of the year, the NYPD has seized nearly 2,000 illegal motorbikes and ATVs, which is nearly double the number that cops confiscated in the same period in 2021. These motorbikes are generally designed for off-road use and don't have the equipment and features that would make them legal to ride on public streets.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0R303GxAdzQ

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Senseless destruction.

"a lot of drama", but not making any points here.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
Can you imagine the value of those bikes in red neck country?

NYC what fools.......
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline PeteS in CA

Not-quite-street-legal motorcycles are slaughtering and maiming NYC dwellers? Who knew?

I suspect the streets of NYC would quickly become safer if a couple hundred convicted murderers and rapists got bulldozered.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Senseless destruction.

@Smokin Joe

What is senseless is riding dirt bikes on the street. The tires on those things give you practically zero traction on the pavement,and even less if the road is slick from oil droppings or rain.

And this ain't even addressing the loud and oily exhaust.

Dirt bikes are a hoot to ride in the dirt,but dangerous as hell on streets.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
@sneakypete

The article said "dirt bikes", but in the video, I saw that quite a few of those bikes had "street tires".

Offline Smokin Joe

@Smokin Joe

What is senseless is riding dirt bikes on the street. The tires on those things give you practically zero traction on the pavement,and even less if the road is slick from oil droppings or rain.

And this ain't even addressing the loud and oily exhaust.

Dirt bikes are a hoot to ride in the dirt,but dangerous as hell on streets.
I saw an awful lot of street tires on those bikes. Far from the knobby dirt riding tires I have seen on honest MX bikes. Look at the video and you will see what I mean.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline roamer_1

Can you imagine the value of those bikes in red neck country?

NYC what fools.......

City folks... Demonstrating yet again that they have no grasp on reality.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
@sneakypete

The article said "dirt bikes", but in the video, I saw that quite a few of those bikes had "street tires".

@Elderberry

I didn't look at the video.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
City folks... Demonstrating yet again that they have no grasp on reality.

@roamer_1

Yup. I have less than zero interest in tiny motorcycle,but it seems like I remember there were a lot of smaller bikes with engines smaller than 350cc's for sale that were NOT dirt bikes,and weren't even two-strokes,eliminating that chainsaw buzz and the offensive smoke from the oil burning. If you are going to ride tiny bikes on the street,why not ride one of them? Hell,it's even cheaper to ride because you don't have to buy all that oil to mix with the gas.

Offline roamer_1

@roamer_1

Yup. I have less than zero interest in tiny motorcycle,but it seems like I remember there were a lot of smaller bikes with engines smaller than 350cc's for sale that were NOT dirt bikes,and weren't even two-strokes,eliminating that chainsaw buzz and the offensive smoke from the oil burning. If you are going to ride tiny bikes on the street,why not ride one of them? Hell,it's even cheaper to ride because you don't have to buy all that oil to mix with the gas.

@sneakypete

Yeah... Enduro style (Street legal MX) bikes were all the rage out on the farm when I was growing up... Took em around many a time servicing irrigation and moving pipes... But you could slide on up to the nearest store for an ice cream and a coke just as easy...

More than once my truck broke and the farmer let me take a bike home to get parts and come back in the morning.

Little bikes (150-350cc) used to just be part of the rural furniture

Offline Smokin Joe

@sneakypete

Yeah... Enduro style (Street legal MX) bikes were all the rage out on the farm when I was growing up... Took em around many a time servicing irrigation and moving pipes... But you could slide on up to the nearest store for an ice cream and a coke just as easy...

More than once my truck broke and the farmer let me take a bike home to get parts and come back in the morning.

Little bikes (150-350cc) used to just be part of the rural furniture
Yep.. You aren't out to set land speed records on prairie trails on a street legal bike anyhow, so the little bikes would do the trick. Some use dirt bikes herding cattle even, but the four wheeler and side-by-sides have taken over a lot of that.

C S Lewis