Author Topic: Artemis I Dress Rehearsal Ends at T-29s Mark  (Read 388 times)

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Artemis I Dress Rehearsal Ends at T-29s Mark
« on: June 21, 2022, 02:21:02 am »
Parabolic Arc by Doug Messier 6/20/2022

NASA Mission Update

The Artemis I wet dress rehearsal ended today at 7:37 p.m. EDT at T-29 seconds in the countdown. Today’s test marked the first time the team fully loaded all the Space Launch System rocket’s propellant tanks and proceeded into the terminal launch countdown, when many critical activities occur in rapid succession.

During propellant loading operations earlier in the day, launch controllers encountered a hydrogen leak in the quick disconnect that attaches an umbilical from the tail service mast on the mobile launcher to the rocket’s core stage. The team attempted to fix the leak by warming the quick disconnect and then chilling it back down to realign a seal, but their efforts did not fix the issue.

Launch controllers then developed a plan to mask data associated with the leak that would trigger a hold by the ground launch sequencer, or launch computer, in a real launch day scenario, to allow them to get as far into the countdown as possible. The time required to develop the plan required extended hold time during the countdown activities, but they were able to resume with the final 10 minutes of the countdown, called terminal count. During the terminal count, the teams performed several critical operations  that must be accomplished for launch including switching control from the ground launch sequencer to the automated launch sequencer controlled by the rocket’s flight software, and important step that the team wanted to accomplish.

More: http://www.parabolicarc.com/2022/06/20/artemis-i-dress-rehearsal-ends-at-t-29s-mark/

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Re: Artemis I Dress Rehearsal Ends at T-29s Mark
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2022, 02:25:20 am »
SLS Wet Dress Completed - Sort Of

NASA Watch

http://nasawatch.com/archives/2022/06/sls-wet-dress-c.html

By Keith Cowing on June 20, 2022 7:29 PM. 1 Comments

Keith's note: With the exception of an unresolved Hydrogen leak NASA told computers to ignore, it seems that the countdown to T-29 sec otherwise went as planned. The original plan was to bring it down to T-9.3 sec but was halted when a flag was encountered - so the test was not 100% completed. But NASA will try and spin it as if it was.

NASA Watch
@NASAWatch
So apparently the only way for @NASAGroundSys

to “complete” the Wet Dress test today is to cheat (just a little) and monkey with software - like Captain Kirk did on the Kobayashi Maru test in #StarTrek since @NASA

keeps hitting those pesky no win scenarios. Just sayin’

Quote Tweet
William Harwood
@cbs_spacenews

SLS/Artemis 1: The only way to do that apparently is to force the ground launch sequencer to ignore the leak indications, which may be acceptable given this isn't an actual launch

attempt; not yet clear if that scenario will be approved or how long it might take to implement