Author Topic: Trudy Rubin: We’ve betrayed tens of thousands of Afghans who helped us and are under Taliban threat  (Read 348 times)

rebewranger

Trudy Rubin: We’ve betrayed tens of thousands of Afghans who helped us and are under Taliban threat
By TRUDY RUBIN | Philadelphia Inquirer
June 19, 2022 at 4:34 a.m.

It has been almost one year since the ugly U.S. departure from Kabul. Yet tens of thousands of Afghans who were promised special immigrant visas (SIVs) — meant for those who worked for U.S. soldiers and civilians — remain trapped under terrifying Taliban rule.

Even for those eligible for SIVs, it could take years — if ever — to be issued one, given the glacial pace of the process. Hunted by name by the Taliban, many applicants may be dead or imprisoned long before their number comes up.

As the United States (rightly) rolls back bureaucratic red tape to welcome Ukrainians as temporary refugees, it is shameful to abandon those Afghans to whom we made promises.

“We left far too many behind,” I was told by Rep. Seth Moulton, D-Mass., a veteran of the Iraq War who has been at the forefront of pushing for legislation to speed up the process. “It is taking far too long to save people who are depending on us.”

https://www.twincities.com/2022/06/19/trudy-rubin-weve-betrayed-tens-of-thousands-of-afghans-who-helped-us-and-are-under-taliban-threat/

rebewranger

Biden's history warns Americans they should always expect the kind of integrity we have gotten from Biden. 888sunglass 

Offline Hoodat

Trudy is under the mistaken impression that Joe Biden gives a damn.

If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline EdinVA

Thoese people were not "helping" us, they were fighting for their country, not ours.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
I'm more pissed about the AMERICANS he left behind.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
I'm more pissed about the AMERICANS he left behind.

I'm pissed about so many things I can't keep track of them all.  Which, I think, is part of the plan as well.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien