Author Topic: Subway horror: Man dies after clothing gets stuck in train doors  (Read 781 times)

Offline Kamaji

Subway horror: Man dies after clothing gets stuck in train doors

By Amanda Woods and Tina Moore
June 16, 2022

A Brooklyn straphanger was killed when his clothes got stuck in a train door and he slipped onto the tracks, authorities say.

The victim, identified by authorities as 37-year-old Marcus Bryant, was getting off a northbound Q train at the Avenue M station in Midwood around 11:50 p.m. Wednesday when his pants or jacket became latched in a subway-car door, cops said.

He fell onto the tracks and was not run over by the train but suffered fatal injuries, police said.

Bryant of Midwood was taken to Maimonides Medical Center but could not be saved, cops said.

Source:  https://nypost.com/2022/06/16/man-dies-after-clothing-gets-stuck-in-subway-doors/

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Re: Subway horror: Man dies after clothing gets stuck in train doors
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2022, 08:23:47 pm »
One of the basic safety rules about working around machinery: Do not wear loose or ill fitting clothing.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2022, 09:44:19 pm »
One of the basic safety rules about working around machinery: Do not wear loose or ill fitting clothing.
Yup.  !st rule on the farm.  a PTO will rip you arm off son.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2022, 07:29:38 pm »
Yup.  !st rule on the farm.  a PTO will rip you arm off son.
:yowsa:
Although the moving parts on oil rigs are even more likely to have guards on them, there are a few things out there fully capable of mutilating the unwary.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline PeteS in CA

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2022, 08:56:06 pm »

So basic it was taught in my high school freshman machine and ag shop classes. But I guess subway commuters on mobbed platforms might not think along those lines.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2022, 08:57:29 pm »
So basic it was taught in my high school freshman machine and ag shop classes. But I guess subway commuters on mobbed platforms might not think along those lines.

Whether the platform was mobbed or not - and this one likely wasn't given the time of day - no straphanger is going to think of the subway as a jobsite where one shouldn't wear loose clothing.  Nor should they.

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2022, 09:00:33 pm »
Whether the platform was mobbed or not - and this one likely wasn't given the time of day - no straphanger is going to think of the subway as a jobsite where one shouldn't wear loose clothing.  Nor should they.
Maybe they should not need to, but safety begins between your ears.
If you can anticipate all possible freak outcomes, you can prevent most (not all) accidents.
A fraction of a second is all it takes to ruin your day.
I have seen it too many times in 40+ years on drilling rigs, and I'm always paying attention.

C S Lewis

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2022, 12:51:42 pm »
Or jewelry.  I never wear a ring when working and do not own a gold necklace
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2022, 12:52:55 pm »
If you can anticipate all possible freak outcomes, you can prevent most (not all) accidents.
I have seen it too many times in 40+ years on drilling rigs, and I'm always paying attention.
Keeping the alcohol away from the righands promotes their safety, but some just never learn.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2022, 12:54:37 pm »

You had my exact thoughts.  Even in industrial area, loose fitting (even unzipped) apparel is verbotten.

Situational awareness and working each step of a job methodically is truly the key.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2022, 01:00:00 pm by catfish1957 »
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2022, 12:58:17 pm »

And ruin a life time.

When I was a Safety Health and Enviromental  Manager of a Petrochemical Plant, I'd break out in a cold sweat when the phone rang at 3 am.  Luckily, no one was ever seriously injured on my watch, but that aspect and part of my career seemed to be ongoing feeling full of dread.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2022, 04:05:33 am »
Keeping the alcohol away from the righands promotes their safety, but some just never learn.
Safety programs have been intense, and no one wants to lose a job that starts at 60K and goes up fast from there. Alcohol and drugs are a definite job ender, and even hangovers are severely frowned upon, at least up this way. Much more professional.

When I started in the patch, roughneck was in the top ten dangerous jobs, now, not in the top 25.

C S Lewis

« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2022, 04:36:09 pm »
Safety programs have been intense, and no one wants to lose a job that starts at 60K and goes up fast from there. Alcohol and drugs are a definite job ender, and even hangovers are severely frowned upon, at least up this way. Much more professional.

When I started in the patch, roughneck was in the top ten dangerous jobs, now, not in the top 25.
Well, my experience is that roughnecks are the biggest guzzlers of all, only after seismic jug-runners