Author Topic: 'Whores and has-beens': GOP Rep. Chip Roy blasts golfers in Saudi-backed event  (Read 358 times)

Online corbe

'Whores and has-beens': GOP Rep. Chip Roy blasts golfers in Saudi-backed event

by Juliegrace Brufke, Congressional Reporter
June 16, 2022 09:51 AM

Rep. Chip Roy slammed PGA Tour defectors who have decided to join the Saudi-backed LIV Golf, arguing the players are “basically whores and has-beens.” And they're willing to take millions in “blood money,” said Roy (R-TX).

A number of high-profile PGA stars have been lured by tournament purses in the $25 million range, with the golfers being paid millions more to join the league. That includes Bryson DeChambeau, Dustin Johnson, Graeme McDowell, Phil Mickelson, Kevin Na, Ian Poulter, Patrick Reed, and Lee Westwood.

But critics, including Roy, say that Saudi Arabia's human rights abuses should deter players from participating in the league. Roy said he doesn’t support President Joe Biden’s expected trip to meet with Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman amid record-high gas prices either.

“I'm fine with competition, but it has to be an economic model that's legit and not being bankrolled by a bunch of Saudis," Roy told the Washington Examiner in an interview. "We’ve got the president of the United States going over and kissing the Saudis' a** trying to get oil because we've got completely screwed up oil and gas, energy policy in this country.”

<..snip..>

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news/house/rep-chip-roy-golfers-saudi-arabia
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline Kamaji

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
Chip Roy.  The Shooter McGaven of the PGA.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Online mountaineer

I'm a golf fan, but the creation of the LIV really doesn't mean a whole lot to me. It's a big so what?, and hardly worthy of congressional ire.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org