Author Topic: A bit of perspective on rising mortgage rates...  (Read 424 times)

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
A bit of perspective on rising mortgage rates...
« on: June 16, 2022, 12:28:40 am »
Have been in real estate sales for over 40 years and have seen what's coming! :

If your purchase price is $500K...which is all too 'average' for a typical home in the Washington, D.C. region here's the difference in monthly payment compared to just 3 months ago.

Cash Down Payment = $100K

$400K MONTHLY Principle & Interest (P&I) at 2.500% is $1,580.48 

$400K MONTHLY P&I at 6.375% is $2,495.48

That's an increase monthly of $915.  and an annual increase of $10,980.

That's a Range Rover payment!   Or...it's the combined car payments of husband and wife.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

What happens next with the slowdown...

The Builders will have the upper hand and start offering "closing cost assistance" which will ultimately be used as pre-paid interest aka "POINTS" to BUY DOWN the interest rate.

In the above example, 4 points is $16K. So, you ditch the Tray Ceiling in the Owner's Suite or the Viking Stove in the Kitchen and use it to get that rate down.

Poor Sellers who have to compete with Builders in the neighborhoods are bleep-out-of-luck, and this crap will go on for YEARS!

Lots of Short Sales in the next year as the loss in market price eats into your equity that you borrowed on...so now you have TWO mortgages and are under water.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

You're going to see lenders cut back on offering "equity lines of credit", or the guidelines will change to 70% vs. the current 80%.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2022, 12:33:03 am by DCPatriot »
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline libertybele

Re: A bit of perspective on rising mortgage rates...
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2022, 12:57:05 am »
Have been in real estate sales for over 40 years and have seen what's coming! :

If your purchase price is $500K...which is all too 'average' for a typical home in the Washington, D.C. region here's the difference in monthly payment compared to just 3 months ago.

Cash Down Payment = $100K

$400K MONTHLY Principle & Interest (P&I) at 2.500% is $1,580.48 

$400K MONTHLY P&I at 6.375% is $2,495.48

That's an increase monthly of $915.  and an annual increase of $10,980.

That's a Range Rover payment!   Or...it's the combined car payments of husband and wife.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

What happens next with the slowdown...

The Builders will have the upper hand and start offering "closing cost assistance" which will ultimately be used as pre-paid interest aka "POINTS" to BUY DOWN the interest rate.

In the above example, 4 points is $16K. So, you ditch the Tray Ceiling in the Owner's Suite or the Viking Stove in the Kitchen and use it to get that rate down.

Poor Sellers who have to compete with Builders in the neighborhoods are bleep-out-of-luck, and this crap will go on for YEARS!

Lots of Short Sales in the next year as the loss in market price eats into your equity that you borrowed on...so now you have TWO mortgages and are under water.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

You're going to see lenders cut back on offering "equity lines of credit", or the guidelines will change to 70% vs. the current 80%.

It is unfortunate that people will find themselves underwater on their mortgages.  I feel for those that just bought a home at the top of the market around here. With so many people moving into the area the price of homes absolutely skyrocketed.  Usually in this area we are the last ones to experience an uptick in property values and the last ones to recover when they start to settle into a more normal price range.  The housing market is cyclical.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2022, 01:11:35 am by libertybele »
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2022, 02:04:43 am »
It is unfortunate that people will find themselves underwater on their mortgages.  I feel for those that just bought a home at the top of the market around here. With so many people moving into the area the price of homes absolutely skyrocketed.  Usually in this area we are the last ones to experience an uptick in property values and the last ones to recover when they start to settle into a more normal price range.  The housing market is cyclical.

@libertybele

I see these 'custom' builders constructing several homes in a new 'cul-de-sac', with one home framed and closed-in.

The sign says "XYZ HOMES...From $1.2M

No hip roofs, no dormer roofs, no double door entry, no 3 car garage, not even a freaking Palladium window!!    :laugh:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2022, 02:22:21 am »
@libertybele

I see these 'custom' builders constructing several homes in a new 'cul-de-sac', with one home framed and closed-in.

The sign says "XYZ HOMES...From $1.2M

No hip roofs, no dormer roofs, no double door entry, no 3 car garage, not even a freaking Palladium window!!    :laugh:
My daughter and her husband just looked at a home in Westminster, CA zip 92683. The house was built in 1958 3bd 2 bath, 7200sqft lot, pool with paver patio and the house has been completely upgraded, asking price $899K before the inevitable bidding war  **nononono*
« Last Edit: June 16, 2022, 02:23:22 am by GtHawk »

Offline libertybele

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2022, 01:40:47 pm »
My daughter and her husband just looked at a home in Westminster, CA zip 92683. The house was built in 1958 3bd 2 bath, 7200sqft lot, pool with paver patio and the house has been completely upgraded, asking price $899K before the inevitable bidding war  **nononono*

It is craziness!  Within 4 years the assessed value of our home has risen over $220,000.  We down-sized and I am so glad we made the move when we did.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2022, 01:43:43 pm by libertybele »
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2022, 01:42:56 pm »

Depending on the particular town, that would be a bargain in many areas of L.I., particularly with a lot that size.