Author Topic: Former Pence aide explains why he alerted Secret Service ahead of Jan. 6  (Read 307 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
 Former Pence aide explains why he alerted Secret Service ahead of Jan. 6
by Brett Samuels - 06/15/22 7:35 PM ET

A top aide to former Vice President Mike Pence said Wednesday he spoke to Secret Service before the Jan. 6, 2021, riots at the Capitol regarding concerns about the consequences of then-President Trump’s rhetoric as thousands of his supporters descended on Washington, D.C.

Marc Short, who served as Pence’s chief of staff at the time, said he spoke with the vice president’s lead Secret Service agent after it became clear the belief among Trump and his aides that Pence could unilaterally stop the certification of Joe Biden’s election win was about to spill into the public.

“And I think with thousands of people descending upon Washington with hopes of a different outcome, I just thought it was important that they be alerted to that,” Short said on CNN. “But I didn’t have any specific intelligence, I did not have any knowledge the Capitol would be attacked the way it was.”

Asked if he was concerned about Pence’s safety, Short said he “wouldn’t have said something otherwise.”

Short, who praised the work of Secret Service, said he worried that Trump was about to go public with his belief Pence had the power to change the election result, and “I’m not sure the consequences of that were thought through by people around the president with thousands of people coming to Washington.”

The New York Times previously reported Short had spoken with Secret Service ahead of the Jan. 6 rally at the Ellipse, which preceded the riots at the Capitol.

Short’s appearance on CNN came on the eve of a hearing for the House committee investigating the Jan. 6 riots that is expected to focus on the pressure campaign on Pence by Trump and his allies. Trump for weeks insisted Pence could single-handedly reject the electors certified by the Electoral College and stop Joe Biden from becoming the next president.

Pence ultimately wrote in a letter on Jan. 6 that he did not find he had the constitutional authority to do so. He has since said Trump was “wrong” to assert the vice president could change the election outcome, calling the idea un-American.

more
https://thehill.com/homenews/house/3525509-former-pence-aide-explains-why-he-alerted-secret-service-ahead-of-jan-6/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online mountaineer

Trump's "rhetoric" like, "go home peacefully," or words to that effect?
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org