Author Topic: Biden Admin Bows To Environmental Activists, Quietly Delays Another Oil And Gas Lease Sale  (Read 414 times)

Offline Hoodat

Biden Admin Bows To Environmental Activists, Quietly Delays Another Oil And Gas Lease Sale

Thomas Catenacci  |  June 15, 2022

The Biden administration confirmed Wednesday it delayed four onshore oil and gas lease sales planned for this month to resolve protests from environmental groups.

“The date for these sales has shifted slightly to complete the analysis required under the National Environmental Policy Act and allow time for protest resolution,” the Bureau of Land Management (BLM) told The Daily Caller News Foundation on Wednesday.

The BLM, which oversees onshore lease sales, filed notices for six sales — in New Mexico, Wyoming, Colorado, Nevada, Utah, Montana and North Dakota — in April, blaming a June 2021 federal court injunction that blocked President Joe Biden’s attempted moratorium on new federal fossil fuel leasing. The six lease sales were scheduled after the Department of the Interior placed restrictions on the onshore lease program.

BLM’s first sale, which covers five parcels across 2,560 acres in Nevada, was originally planned for June 14 but was inexplicably delayed two weeks, according to a June 8 filing notifying interested parties of the new date. The agency also delayed the sales in Wyoming, Colorado and New Mexico without giving an explanation in separate filings.

In May, the Sierra Club and Western Environmental Law Center filed separate protests with the BLM regarding the Nevada sale, arguing it wasn’t legally mandated by the court injunction and that the agency needed to conduct an environmental review before moving forward with the sale.  .  .

https://dailycallernewsfoundation.org/2022/06/15/biden-admin-bows-to-environmental-activists-quietly-delays-another-oil-and-gas-lease-sale/

Drill, baby, drill?  I don't think so.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Well, I read the complaint filed to slow the Nevada sale. One of the complaints is that there were abandoned wells on the parcels, and they thought it unlikely that there was enough oil there to be worth drilling for...

I have worked wells in Nevada, and the geology changes drastically and abruptly, in relatively short distances, depending on where you are. In general, in the area I worked, there was a sheet of  rock thrust over younger rock from 25 or more miles away, and then all of this was faulted into Basins and mountain ranges (Horst and Graben), and those Valleys filled with with volcanics and other sediments.

It is a fascinating and challenging area to work, but the science of doing oil exploration there is constantly changing, because things get overlooked or misinterpreted or a formation is inherently difficult to produce.

That said, Railroad Valley, has had nine oilfields, and a history that includes 47,000,000 barrels of production, from Oligocene Volcanics, Eocene Lake deposits, and Paleozoic limestones, sometimes from paleokarst features (old cave systems).

Odds are steep in NV, with about a 1 in 75 wildcat success rate, but when they 'hit', wells can be very good. 
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

Well, I read the complaint filed to slow the Nevada sale. One of the complaints is that there were abandoned wells on the parcels, and they thought it unlikely that there was enough oil there to be worth drilling for...

I have worked wells in Nevada, and the geology changes drastically and abruptly, in relatively short distances, depending on where you are. In general, in the area I worked, there was a sheet of  rock thrust over younger rock from 25 or more miles away, and then all of this was faulted into Basins and mountain ranges (Horst and Graben), and those Valleys filled with with volcanics and other sediments.

It is a fascinating and challenging area to work, but the science of doing oil exploration there is constantly changing, because things get overlooked or misinterpreted or a formation is inherently difficult to produce.

That said, Railroad Valley, has had nine oilfields, and a history that includes 47,000,000 barrels of production, from Oligocene Volcanics, Eocene Lake deposits, and Paleozoic limestones, sometimes from paleokarst features (old cave systems).

Odds are steep in NV, with about a 1 in 75 wildcat success rate, but when they 'hit', wells can be very good.
Abandoned wells mean nothing.

I worked for a company whose expertise was pickiing up abandoned wells offshore which had oil and gas in it but when drilled were noncommerical.

Decades ago no one wanted natural gas.  Also, some of the zones were thin and horizontal technology was unheard of that can be used now to exploit.

And a number of zones were bypassed as they were not considered as they were low resistivity pay which later on were recognized as producing intervals.

Lots of reasons to abandon, so it is a weak reason to say oil and gas do not exist.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington