Author Topic: Green cement could change the construction game—but will builders actually use it?  (Read 288 times)

rebewranger

Green cement could change the construction game—but will builders actually use it?
Maria Parazo Rose - Yesterday 5:00 PM

Concrete is the second-most used material in the world. We need it to support bridges, buildings, patios, staircases, countertops, and more—and its use has been growing and tripling in the past forty years.

The essential building material comprises water, coarse aggregates, like sand and gravel, and a binding agent—which is where cement, an especially carbon emissions heavy product, comes in.

According to the International Energy Agency, the cement sector is the third-largest industrial energy consumer in the world, consuming seven percent of industrial energy use. It is also the second-largest industrial emitter of carbon dioxide, responsible for seven percent of global emissions. Most emissions occur when raw materials, typically clay and limestone, are heated to more than 2500 degrees Fahrenheit to become the super-strong binding material. Roughly 600 kilograms of carbon dioxide are released per ton of cement produced.

But, sustainable, “green” cement is becoming increasingly popular, especially considering the environmental footprint of traditional cement. A recent example came out of the University of Tokyo last year, when researchers Kota Machida and Yuya Sakai made cement out of food waste. Food waste has been used as a filler in cement alternatives before, but Machida and Sakai developed the world’s first process for cement made entirely from food waste.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/weather/topstories/green-cement-could-change-the-construction-game-but-will-builders-actually-use-it/ar-AAYsXRi?ocid=msedgdhp&pc=U531&cvid=5fce5f3cebfe4e80b0e8a73468ed0925

rebewranger

If it's from MSN it's probably mostly a fabricated story.  Let's wait and see if the stuff lives up to liberal hype. :nono:

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Oh, Hell, let's just go back to unfired mud bricks... *****rollingeyes*****
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline catfish1957

• FJB!!!!
  • Political Researcher
I equate green with woke....   On every account.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.